World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't go into too much detail as Phil and TP's reports have already set the scene.

We fished it 2.5 hours up and 2.5 hours down (family outing job). We were fishing around the first set of steps North of the boating pool.

The first four hours were a disaster - lost four rigs (to an unseen manace in the gulley) and bust a rod (suspected youngster cracking it on the wall when casting).

The missus was getting a bit bored because her reel had a disaster........

It was looking like a total washout when along came this little fella........

I caught him about 1.5 hours after HW

The rest of us blanked but, as you can see, there were other fish being caught.

One thing that is worrying me is that I don't seem to be able to catch a fish without starting an argument :eek:hmy:

After my initial flounder/plaice debacle, I reeled in today's catch in front of an adoring crowd of at least six people. This is how the conversation went:

Bloke in black t-shirt: What is it?

Jack: A Tope

Bloke in blue t-shirt (accompanied by young lad): That's not a tope, it's a dogfish.

Jack: It's a Tope man!

Blue: I've fished this wall for 20 years and caught hundreds of them....it's a dogfish!
(Boy could he NOT have picked a worse person to say this to)

Jack: I've fished this wall for 50 years and caught [pick a really huge number and quintuple it] of them. It's a Tope!

At one point I thought we were going to have fisticuffs.........
(Hope it wasn't anyone from the forum :blink: - not that I had owt to do with it, I was running round frantically trying to find the camera)

I shan't comment on what I think it was, suffice to say I'm just happy I didn't make it 5 blanks in a row......

I caught a fish!!!!!! :1a:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
JACK RIGHT ITS A TOPE PUP STONEY. the bloke who thinks its a doggie wants to go to speck savers dont take no notice of em jack knows the score well done ...............tony c

·
Registered
457 Posts
....Aye..... a tope pup it is but we had a similar disagreement with a Geordie who advised us that "in the NW they call 'em doggies" and advised us to "cut it up and use it for bait cos they're nowt but a pest"..... so much for conservation then eh!!
Well done Stoney & Co

Tight lines

:) BILLY

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys,

I called it as a tope on the way in (with my two-week wealth of experience). I didn't get involved in the argument but, in fairness, when I showed the mother-in-law (a vintage Essex girl) the pictures, she confirmed it as a Tope but said they call 'em doggies down south too.

Is it only us who know the truth?

:g:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Thats a Tope Deffo, never heard of anybody calling them Doggies and even I can tell them apart.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
HI Sounds like some one got their wires crossed between dog fish and spur dog?after all a blind man can tell the difference between a tope pup and a dog fish, but not a bull huss and a doggy

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's a Tope pup, you an tell by the nose allmost clear this has senses to find it's food like all Tope, next time you see this guy just tell him it's a TOPE and he's a DOPE:yawn::ph34r:.

·
Registered
266 Posts
its a lesser grey coastal gynn wall at least i didn't blank fish.

ITS A TOPE PUP !!!!!!!!

WELL DONE MATE GOOD FOR THE KIDS TO SEE
the fish not the argument hahahahahaa.

·
Registered
429 Posts
how can that man say its a doggie...:doh:
you should have said that it does make you go blind in the end mate:dry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts