World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the madness of calshot the other night i did wonder wether i'd ever go fishing again! But lets be honest will that ever happen? NO!

Anyway dug some rag on me local beach and brought some fresh maccy from tesco so decided to try for a bass with my cousin who apprantly blanks alot so i thought i'd try to get him a stonker, so we started fishing about 4pm with two rods each trying rag on one and maccy on the other.

For about three hours we caught nothing it got dark and was bloody freezin we stuck the tilley lamps in the biv to warm ourselfs up which suprisingly worked the tide turned and we got a few tiddlers but it went slack again he started moaning about work in the morning so i said ill have one more cast chucked out the last of the mac and a few rag on the other. after a few mins the rag worm had a cracking bite which ended up being the notorius 'line bite' so i packed one rod up by the time i had done this my cos had packed both his rods up and was sat cuddling the tilly (dont blame him)

so i blaged a *** off him and as he went to pass it to me my reel started screeming and i saw the line shoot down tide! so i leaned into the rod gently and tightned the drag a little and i thought the fish came off so about 10 yards away from the beach after swearing at my rod the fish started to run at which point my drag was so tight i had to run into the water trying franticly to loosen it off, at this point my feet were soggy but the fish was still on after a good 5-10min fight on a 10 year old flattie rod in the surf was a lovely bass just shy of 7lb!!!!

before i could get the hook out both my cousins rods were being put back together i smoked my *** fished another hour and had naff all, but beat my goal of a 5lb bass! although my cos didnt catch anything of any worth he was chuffed to see a fish like that come out of the water it renewed his faith in beach fishing in his words 'f*** me thats a f****** whale' next time its his turn i hope!

hope you enjoyed the read and now im off to cuddle my bass!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
good read & cracking 'last cast' fish , so often i don't want to wind in the last rod , just in case :thumbs:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

was a lovely scrap on the light gear!! After a lovely boat trip with a friend and stopping at the same spot had another one oz under 4 pound this morning!(Shore caught on local ragworm, and running leasure with to 4/0 vavaris on the business end! so no special tactics), I seem to lady luck on my side at the moment!!!

Anyway off to calshot again tonight as chesil is abit to far this weekend( save that for next weekend) hopefully get some of those elusive solent cod with all this luck im having! and no bloody lighting shooting at me!

Good luck all, hope you all get cracking fish!

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey
Fished by the piers today , walked to Gypsy lane to start with it was blowing a hooley, didnt even bother setting up :schmoll:
had a good couple of hours no weed !!!, until the the high tide then it was weed central ! , they guy next to me could"nt believe how much weed was coming up it was his first time, the curse of the Solent I'm afraid ! are there any good times to fish at Lepe :blink:

Winchesterclub

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks CNC
Going to try the Gypsy Lane next weekend hopefully without the hooley blowing :g:
how far you reckon you need to cast to make the channel mate
( anywhere else close by you recommend to try)
thanks mate

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks MK
I am normally a daytime fisherman at Lepe is it worth still trying then ? and is the Gypsy Lane the best place to try around Lepe

Thanks in Advance
Dont expect many bass at Lepe by day unless it is rough, daylight sessions are best for flounders for for other species night sessions will be far more productive, the deep waetr section to the east is fishing ok at the mo during the flood at night but the dreaded Solent weed can be a pain.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Dont expect many bass at Lepe by day unless it is rough, daylight sessions are best for flounders for for other species night sessions will be far more productive, the deep waetr section to the east is fishing ok at the mo during the flood at night but the dreaded Solent weed can be a pain.
Thanks mate
i have been cursed with the Solent weed the last couple of weeks but will try again this weekend
any tips on rigs and baits to use

Regards

Winchesterclub

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Thanks mate
i have been cursed with the Solent weed the last couple of weeks but will try again this weekend
any tips on rigs and baits to use

Regards

Winchesterclub
There was no weed on Saturday.
Lug/squid/pulley pennel close in, between the lighthouse and boat house for the bass, although they'll take pretty much anything.
2 hook flapper/strips of mackerel for the bream/rays, usually requires a lob into the channel which is marked with green and red posts for the boats.
Good luck!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks mate
last weekend it so windy i didnt even bother and went round to the piers and the weed !
But thanks for the tips i will be trying again this Saturday and you never know your luck
(just as a point of interest mate as i am new to baiting up hooks and i am still learning the right techniques!,is it worth trying bait elastic to help keep the bait on)

Regards
Wayne

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Thanks mate
last weekend it so windy i didnt even bother and went round to the piers and the weed !
But thanks for the tips i will be trying again this Saturday and you never know your luck
(just as a point of interest mate as i am new to baiting up hooks and i am still learning the right techniques!,is it worth trying bait elastic to help keep the bait on)

Regards
Wayne
Check out
http://www.baitsrus.com/bait-ups-28-w.asp
Loads of decent videos on there!
I learnt everything I know on Youtube!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Check out
http://www.baitsrus.com/bait-ups-28-w.asp
Loads of decent videos on there!
I learnt everything I know on Youtube!
Really bazzer???!!!......:g:....:g:

That's a pretty brave statement right there fella......
I would of though a man of your calibre would of studied local marks, paying attention to tides, moon phases, correct bait application, not least forgetting seasonal weather changes and forecasts relating to their effects on fish movements....... :g:...
All the fruitless hours and relentless blanks condensed into a trail of thought and questionability of successful methods that eventually led to the downfall of a decent fish or two....:yeah:...:clap: And I know full well you've had your fair share of decent size captures in recent months......:fishing:... I'd even go as far as to say that I, as well as many other wsf members have been rather envious of your catch reports on here.......

But bugger me sideways, clearly I'm doing it all wrong, I should of been at home studying you tube instead!!!!!.....:bleh:....:bleh:.....:bleh:...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi winchester i was given a cracking tip by an old fella once he told me to make your bait look as natural as possible i only use elastic to to make the hook point stand proud of the bait my personal prefrence is to use as little as possible as i feel it can put the fish off but each to there own.

as for rigs 2/3 hook flappers, portsmouth 2 hook or my fav the clip down pulley pennel a running leasure works at lepe but put a stop after your weight so wen the fish pick up the bait they will hook themselfs (bolt rig style)

what time you going to be fishing sat? if its day time get down lepe for 12 midday take a bucket and potato prong dig ragworm from the beach at low( best bait in my opinion and either fish near the sluice casting towards the channel or walk up towards calshot (east) till you get to the dolphins ( two massive metal structures 100 yards into the sea) go past em bout 100 yards and fish anywhere there (deep water mark) or try gypo lane.

just to add there are some very usefull tip on utube/internet i would reccomened reading up on moon phases and keeping a journal of every trip tides, weather leading up to aswell time bait used rigs blah blah blah you will notice almost a pattern and it will help you increase your catch rate but it does take time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts