World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started on about sea fishing and i was going tope fishing in july and the bloke turned round and said why not try methil for cod i laughed and said there all away and he replied well i caught a 3lb one other day i couldnt help but laugh then the biggest laugh when he also replied and said there was dog fish at burntisland i had to reply to him and say your the biggest bull sh*tter going he still kept a straigh face and said he did :fishing: :blahblah:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
i was talking to a guy today,
i asked if he was fishing for small coalfish ( knowing i caught 15 not so long ago )
he mentioned he caught a 3.5lb codling at the gates at the docks last night.
and his friend had too cut his line twice last night as he couldnt pull up a 30lb conger :)
then told me his other friends rod got pulled in few nights ago :)

good ole fishermans stories... true or not i will let you decide.

i hope i never get like that.. no smart comments please heh. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
:rolleyes: WHAT..... you mean these reports weren't true :sad:

I was going to fish these places to see what I could do, don't think I will bother now :schmoll:

·
Registered
79 Posts
everybody from time to time has caught a great big liefish,some were landed some got off,the biggest one i got was a 45lb cod from a small lake in leith,caught on a cheese and onion sandwich.......size 2 hook...i put it back though too small......

·
Registered
148 Posts
Last fish i caught was so big the Photo of it wieghed 3lbs!!!!111one11!1

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Heard the dogfish story before but never caught one myself, have however seen a dogfish washed up at b/island beach. I dont suppose its impossible as lots of new species are hitting our shores. As for the codling at methil, well thats nothing unusual at this time of year i would have thought. 30lb congers though, hmmmmm always seem to be conger stories kicking about. Was told once that kinghorn is good for turbot,again not likely, but you never know....
Would like to be proven wrong.

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
I caught a ling the other day which when weighed by millser on his digital scales was 27lb - then it seemed to pee all over him (emptied swim bladder?) and it went down to 2lb 3oz??? :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
"everybody from time to time has caught a great big liefish,some were landed some got off,the biggest one i got was a 45lb cod from a small lake in leith,caught on a cheese and onion sandwich.......size 2 hook...i put it back though too small......"

Mr Ray
Might I ask what cheese was in your sandwich bait? I find the Sainsburys 'Taste the Difference' Mull of Galloway cheese (strength 4) works very well combined with a Warburtons and Clover cocktail. A slow retrieve through public spaces will more often than not catch you a 'trampfish' and possibly even a 'wino-fish'. They do put up a spirited fight (esp the wino-fish). You'll sometimes find a small shoal of pigeons follow them in to the rod. If this is the case then set up a feather rig tipped with Hovis for best results.

:blink:

Ok, ok - i'm off to the UEFA cup final a lunchtime hence the nonsense.

Blenny

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Heard the dogfish story before but never caught one myself, have however seen a dogfish washed up at b/island beach. Was told once that kinghorn is good for turbot,again not likely, but you never know.... .

I have caught a doggie before, from Kirkcaldy outer harbour basin. I was about 14 at the time. Wondered what it was. It was one of the boat fishermen that told me what it was.
Kinghorn is sandy enough & who actually fishes these areas regularly to tell otherwise.
Starting from this weekend, i'm gonna start to fish these areas again, see what turns up.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I have caught a doggie before, from Kirkcaldy outer harbour basin. I was about 14 at the time. Wondered what it was. It was one of the boat fishermen that told me what it was.
Kinghorn is sandy enough & who actually fishes these areas regularly to tell otherwise.
Starting from this weekend, i'm gonna start to fish these areas again, see what turns up.
Id be up for that Dave , like to explore that area between the beach and west harbour, or anywhere really.
geeza shout when you fancy a bash , dont mind a night session either if its on...

·
Registered
116 Posts
What's worse, a misguided angler who catches a fish, sometimes not knowing what it is nor it's weight, but to garner a little credibility with his peers, stretches the truth, again sometimes unknowingly - or is it the angler who seems to take on a mantle of superiority as he ridicules a fellow angler who probably is only trying to "fit in". Anglers who do inflate their catches by far outnumber those that don't, they do no harm and if that's what floats their boat, what right have others to laugh and giggle about them behind their backs.
As a lifelong angler, I can say one thing and that is when you are fishing in the sea, you have no way of knowing what will turn up or when, so how can you lable another angler a liar for saying he caught something from an area that you consider to be void of such species.

Could it be they are just better at catching fish?

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone ever fished burntisland wall right thru the night would be real intresting

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Well I know a guy who said he saw dabs well up the river Don whlist fishing for Salmon. Strange things sometimes happen I suppose.

I was at Gamrie once and Bigads pulled in an lsd - I for one did not expect that on the east coast but there you go.

Also recently heard of a cookoo ray being caught just south of Aberdeen.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Never say never with sea fishing. I had not seen 1 pollack in 40 years fishing my area,then last year a numpty pal of my fishing buddy caught a 10lb one from Anster pier.Go figure.

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i suppose its the same as catching huss and thornies 30 miles down the shannon in ireland

1 - 18 of 18 Posts