World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brother and I had planned to go fishing last night for a few hours but he had to pull out so I was left wondering what to do. The daughter ended up taking pity on me and offered to go with me. So with her two brothers sitting in front of their play stations off we went in the search of some fish. Left Belfast around 17.30 and headed north. The journey that should have taken 40mins took 60 with the traffic but I didn't mind as I was just glad to be fishing again.

I was hoping for some surf running but it wasn't to be as the sea was flat calm. I had dirty squid, mackerel and some lug with me for bait. I only had enough Lug for about 10 hooks as my 1st ever attempt at digging lug didn't go quite as planned but I was getting the hang of it towards the end:rolleyes: The 1st rod I used a pennel rig and sent it out max range with a squid / mackerel cocktail in the hope of something big. The second rod I used a 1up 1 down rig and sent it out close in. Id read on here there was good flatties to be had close in so that was my target. I had the lug on the bottom hook tipped with the white skin of the mackerel and squid on the top hook.

I fished like this for about 90mins without a bite. The daughter made the coffee and played music on her phone but seemed to be enjoying herself. I decided to change things a little and send the 2 hook rod out max range also. Id just sat down for another coffee when I noticed a couple of small knocks on the rod id just sent out. I lifted into a fish but there wasn't to much wait to it or fight from it. I thought it must be a flounder but it turned out to be a plaice. I thought Plaice was a summer fish so I was a little surprised. It was a bout 25cm long, not the biggest but the biggest id caught:D It had taken the bottom hook with the lug and was nicely hooked in the side of the mouth. The daughter picked it up and put it back into the water and let it swim back out to sea, all pleased with herself after touching a fish:D

Nothing much happened for the next 30mins before I got another small knock on the lug rod. I left it another few minutes just to be sure as the wind had picked up and it was hard to tell. I began to wind in but wasn't sure there was even anything on. I thought there was a little extra weight so thought it was either a little weed or a small flatty. Out came a small fish and on the way over I thought it was probably a pin whiting. The closer I got I thought a small codling. The daughter was asking me what type of fish it was but tbh I wasn't sure. It didn't have the big chin barbell the cod or pouting id caught before had. While unhooking it we noticed the black circle above its side fin which I hadn't seen before. The daughter again put the fish back into the sea and watched it swim away. We packed up not long after that and headed back home with a stop at McDonald's on the way.

Once I got home I went on the net to try find out what type of fish Id caught and I think its a Haddock:confused:
Ive been reading most reports on these forums since the summer and haven't seen anyone reporting catching any so im guessing its rare to catch one from our shores or it isn't a Haddock at all:D So im looking to you guys to tell me what it is.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yep I would say haddock. Caught a few before, Cushendun and Glenarm but never of any great size. Great to see the family out and getting involved.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I take my 6yr old daughter down to Carrickfergus harbour and I spent more time unhooking her fish than catching mine. Pollack,cod,whiting, and gurnard. All caught on a small piece of mackerel and long shank trout hooks for easy unhooking.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill have to give that a go as I think she would really enjoy that. She is braver round the fish than my two boys lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
I take my 6yr old daughter down to Carrickfergus harbour and I spent more time unhooking her fish than catching mine. Pollack,cod,whiting, and gurnard. All caught on a small piece of mackerel and long shank trout hooks for easy unhooking.
How long ago where you at Carrick harbour Neil,I didn't think there were any fish left there?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Hiya Marc,

That Plaice looks like a Flounder, most Plaice are really round, with vivid near red spots.
You will be able to tell a Plaice right away in future;) as that one you caught is a Flounder:)

http://www.worldseafishing.com/foru...ween-plaice-and-flounders-with-spots.2208398/.

Our keeper Plaice are Mid July for 2lbers:cool: Ragworm tipped with a flyer of squidly:D

But the Haddock is a Haddock, good stuff in getting out with the daughter for company. canny beat family fishing, and a new type of fish to strike off the list.

Mark...;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had read about some flounder with spots before and remembered reading something about one being smooth if you run your finger up an down their back. The back on this one did feel smooth to me but it's not like I have much experience in this. I only did this as I thought it strange to catch a plaice in the winter.

Thanks for the info mark, maybe I'll get it right next time, 3rd time lucky:D

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
No problem Marc:)

When you catch blue blood flatties they are easy to tell apart hahah but if ye catch them Mongrel ones:eek: they can be a right pain, some one mentioned counting vertebra to be sure,
not sure i want to start dissecting flatties at the shore.

Another one to watch for is Brill and Turboto_O
Turbot has a rough back and a Brill is smooooth:D

Schreiber
thinks that although larval flatfish look and behave like ordinary symmetrical fish, they are essentially hard wired as asymmetrical freaks.

If survival requires turning a symmetrical creature into a mish mash that looks like it was sewed together by Dr. Frankenstein, so be it. It’s weird, but it works.

Mark...

Reactions: fahrenheit

·
Registered
834 Posts
How long ago where you at Carrick harbour Neil,I didn't think there were any fish left there?
This was a few months back but we head down a few times while the weather is good. I suppose it's like lrf as it's only a wee Disney princess rod she uses. Great sport.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This was a few months back but we head down a few times while the weather is good. I suppose it's like lrf as it's only a wee Disney princess rod she uses. Great sport.
I 've been getting more into the lrf recently, its good craic.I like it because you can keep on the move and everything fits in your pocket.I caught quite a lot of fish late summer doing it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yea your right buddy cushy dun has a small head of haddock but the very odd time you get a 3 pounder it's a haddock nursery there over the winter and used to be full of winter herrin was fantastic nursery area for them until the trawlers wrecked it peopl talking over radios and the half of europes fishing fleet listening in same happened with the skate sssssshhhhhhhhh lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yea they are rare though well maybe not the congers but all in all with the decline of most species now it's getting harder and rarer to catch your fish of of the day more effort more travelling and more money has to be spent now to go in search of that specium that every guy wants now and again off the beaten track ist group way to go the only way

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ivan the best advice I can give you is rock hop on a clear sunny day at low tide and find your spots don't take a rod just your camera find your marks over time you will find the best I do this often ans have been really successful if you can get high above the rocks on low water you can see all the gully kelp lines etc clean ground it's wort it believe me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts