World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i fish mainly out of cork habour in the south of ireland, haddock are hard to come by anybody got tips on how pick up more othese great fighters. what depht? what mounths? what baits? etc.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I don't have any experience in your neck of the woods but I have some from Kinlochbervie in Scotland. I found small white muppets baited with worms can be very effective. We usually find them over reefs at varying water depths. As to the time of year, late summer is usually the best up here, I like going over in august september time.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Hi Alan B,I've never caugh tone but i think they are mostly caught form boat.I've never heard of one being caught from the shore anyway.But on a boat i reckon baited cod feathers are probably going to be your best method over mixed ground in deeper water.
Mtm

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Alanb,

Why not join the forums on www.sea-angling-ireland.org and ask the lads from your area. Best to get local knowledge. Great fishing in Cork will be down there in June for a weekend, then in July for 4 days and again in Sept for 4 days, guess I like the fishing down that way eh?

Good luck

Yappo

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Only fished for them in Norway from the boat with hokkais. The hokkais worked well.

The only problem we found with haddock is their a master at getting off the hook. really soft mouths but great fight when there on. They have a really sharp jagging fight to them (if that makes sense), really quite distinctive. Hooked into quite a lot but most came off.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Fished down in Kerry for them an best rig was the dirler spoons, small spoon blades rotating in the line wi a couple of red beads below, with either mackerel or mussel for bait. Worked both at anchor and on the drift. If you hit a shoal any rig, paternoster or flowing trace will take them.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
in Ireland they are mostly round the West coast (from Baltimore up to Donegal) and tend to be in deep water .

You can take them on almost any end gear you like (feathers/hokkais - baited is best, running ledger,flying collar, paternoster) shellfish (mussels, clams, prawns and so on) is a good bait but they will take any of the common baits but as he says above they fight quite hard AND have soft mouths

so if you use braid use an extra-soft rod and /or a "shock leader" of power-gum (the 20lb b.s.) or very stretchy mono and keep the drag light.

if you still find you lose a lot, see if it works out better with circle hooks - especially thick wire ones (like Mustad 39960 D).
They may not need to be big hooks - what you'll be trying is to get hooked into a tougher part of the mouth (I am not sure, but think the lips and "scissors" may be a bit rubbery...maybe)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts