World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, thought you might like to see the underwater Water Wolf Footage I was lucky enough to film on a 170cm / 155lb Halibut that I caught in Norway end June2016. Filmed in a depth of circa 60m.

Best watched in youtube in HD 720p setting, medium size viewer, cinema mode.

I have now re-uploaded an improved cut, slightly brighter in the first few minutes.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Brilliant mate.
leaving for lyngen tonight,
If I can get one half that size I'd be happy

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to be playing too dark on some devices or browsers (it's actually quite clear all the way through.)
I'll try revisit this tonight and re-upload if necessary.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome Ken :)
Its too dark Paul, its uploaded darker than both the source video that the recut version.
I'll try again tonight to lighten it a touch and retain its original 1080 res - as you should be able to see the take and all the action.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks for that Ken, great footage, had to laugh when the torsk had a go at your bait as you were playing the butt did think to myself if that butt had com off at that point and you hooked the torsk you would of been telling everyone how you caught a torsk that had been on steroids and were now converted to targeting them:):):):eek: Well done again on such a great catch.

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
Well done Ken for taking the time to sort the vid out. Bloody brilliant. The early stages remind me of the Hell scene from Event Horizon. TOP

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys
I have now re-uploaded an improved cut - slightly brighter in the first few minutes.
You can all see the take clearly now too.
Link to new vid updated in the original post also.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Great fotage ken that Colie didn't half get taken for a ride Just out of interest ken what sort of rod and reel and bs braid do you use when targeting big halibut?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Great fotage ken that Colie didn't half get taken for a ride Just out of interest ken what sort of rod and reel and bs braid do you use when targeting big halibut?
Hi Biffo, the heaviest setup that I use in Norway, for Halibut, is a 30/50 (Zziplex Islander / Suveran Pro boat) 2pce with an avet LX raptor 2 spd, 600m+ thin 80lb whiplash crystal braid and an 80lb fluoro leader.

My first fish of this last trip, a 65lb-er made an impressive long run (it felt 100lb+) then settled and snagged on coral-type substrate; we had to motor 100 metres over to it and I managed to free it and get the fish to the boat before releasing it.
Some frayed braid and leader; so I was lucky to get it; wouldn't have with lighter gear.
I've also been bitten off on 80lb leader before.

From the footage, my biggest fish, the 155lb-er, actually took 29mins to bring to the boat before we roped it.
OR 24 mins - if you exclude the last bit where it got off the liphook and shot off after being brought up fully the first time... then had to be retrieved from 60metres again.

So I don't consider the setup over or under gunned for the big fish I'm hoping to hook; I'm happy with it.
Some use lighter 20/30 rods and 50lb braid; and some use even heavier leaders of 100lb+. Each to their own.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Thanks Ken I use a 20/30 and 50lb braid but often worried about if I was to hook a big one that I would be under gunned so for my trip to havoysund might have to treat myself to a decent outfit don't want that fish of a lifetime getting away.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah Biffo, agree, I use a 20/30 with 50lb braid setup for all the codding, cutbaits and jigging, etc and I'm conscious I might lose a great fish if I hook it on this gear.
And obviously lighter again for coalies.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Ken I use a 20/30 and 50lb braid but often worried about if I was to hook a big one that I would be under gunned so for my trip to havoysund might have to treat myself to a decent outfit don't want that fish of a lifetime getting away.
When's your Havoysund booking again Biffo?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts