World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my youth i used to fish out of Walton on the Naze.
The tackle shop was run By John Metcalf.
His summer Holidays consisted of fishing for halibut off the coast of Scotland.
I recall he had a couple.
Does anyone fish for them now, do they ever get cought while fishing for skate?

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Apart from the odd fish farm escapees, there are now more halibut caught off the Whitby area than there are off the Scottish coast :(

Though to be honest I dont think the old west coast grounds are still being fished that much.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Reminds me of the roadsign in Essex which allegedly used to read "Harwich - for the continent" under which some wag had scrawled "Frinton - for the incontinent"

Apologies to anyone who lives in Harwich:)

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
we have a trip booked for sept and the island we are on has a halibut pen to the south of it and one to the west,both in sheltered coves. :)

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Vancouver for halibut!
I have a book written about fishing in BC. It says that if you catch a large halibut, it is dangerous to try and get it into the boat. Instead, put a rope through it and tow it back. That's the kind of dangerous fishing I'd like to try.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I can well believe that, a few of the locals used to work longlines in days gone by, seemingly the big ones were very hard to get in the boat and once in, felt like they were going to thrash the bottom out.
There used to be a few small boats that worked longlines in my area and they did get a few halibut, but I think most of them had given up by the early 70's and changed to kreel fishing.
I tried a long a few times but only managed a few dogs.
might try again just to see if they are there.
Rgds TB

I have a book written about fishing in BC. It says that if you catch a large halibut, it is dangerous to try and get it into the boat. Instead, put a rope through it and tow it back. That's the kind of dangerous fishing I'd like to try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts