World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:boat:
Hi, just been wading through the threads looking for info and picked up some cracking tips.
I'm off to join my mate in his new boat this week. Our first trip out of the Hamble, in fact out of anywhere. Just looking for anything to put a bend in the rod from local marks.
Going armed with squid & mackerel and will be fishing light and simple.
Any hints, tips, advice on local marks and whats being caught would be much appreciated.
As for the forum:clap3:

T

·
0 Posts
Get yourself some hermit crab.
The rather basic little tackle shop (Sammy's) near the Cabin Boatyard usually has them frozen.
Take a heavy spinning rod or carp rod (certainly no mor than a 12lb class boat rod).
A selection of leads to about 5oz max
30lb trace line
4/0 fine wire hooks

Head out of the Hamble and turn left towards Hillhead.

Use your chart plotter to anchor to one of the small depth contours (try and find a spot where the contours are close). Aim for about 4 metres of water under the keel.

Set up a simple flowing trace of about 3 feet long and attach a hermit crab after winkling it out of it's shell. (I hook it through the soft part and out through the hard body).

Gently lob it about 10 or 15 yards downtide and either put the reel on the ratchet or hold on tight!

If the smoothies are in (and they should be with the warm weather by early May) you won't have a chance to set up a second rod, let alone get it in the water.
Expect fish in the 4lb to 14lb bracket with the chance of a 20lber.

Superb fun, fast and furious and very tough fighters on carp gear.
If you decide to keep one (why would anyone?) try and make it a smaller male fish (sub 8lb - the ones with the long claspers by their bum) as the females will all be heavily pregnant.

Best of luck.
Tom

T

·
0 Posts
Fine wire is perfect if using light gear.
A chemically sharpened Aberdeen is fine.

If your gear is too heavy then you'll straighten a fine wire hook when the fish tries to run and the drag is murdered up.

Likewise if you use light gear and a heavy (heavier) shank hook then the lack of power you can use will often fail to set the hook.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Try fishing the ledge just into the shipping channel on the east side opposite Calshot Spit, near the Chilling/Reach Buoy. Keep outside the shipping lane though, i.e. to the landward side of the green buoy. Going the other way west into the Solent , try on the landward side of the red Gurnard buoy. Watch out for the big ships and fast ferries though, and make sure you nkow your rules of the road because it is a very busy area with fast tides.

T

·
0 Posts
Salar

I have always found the mark you mentioned opposite Calshot to be chocker full of jap weed all hurtling around in the tide.
Oddly, just around the corner to Hill Head seems to virtually eliminate all weed....

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
have to agree with tom i have fished the mark a few times last year,and its great fun on light tackle, they take of like trains!! mayby bit early yet but worth a try.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
To be honest I haven't fished either mark for a few years as I am now based out of Southsea, but when I launched from Warsash it was very handy - not too far and produced loads of smaller fish to keep things interesting, plus te chance of something bigger. Maybe the weed thing is a more recent development. Another place to fish from hamble is along the edge of the shipping channel in Southampton Water just north of the refinery piers, although you cannot fish for bass during the close season. Small pouting used as bait where the bottom suddenly drops down to the deeper part can bring some nice bass.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update. First trip not very succesful, well in fact a blank. Boats engines were playing up so ended up fishing in the estuary for flatties. Had a great day out though which only a fish would've made better.
Thanks for all the tips and advice.
Nice to know there's people out there willing to help a novice
Cheers guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts