World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 of us fished Hamneidet in the north of Norway from july 26 – aug 2. The land of huge shoals of hard fighting cod and coalies? Or maybe not?

If you go to north Norway expecting tonnes of good fish with a smattering of bigguns thrown in then you will probably be disappointed. After all the build up and expectations we all found it not to be as it is made out. The fishing was average to be honest. We saw birds working twice all week. And for 30-45 mins we had a fish a drop on those marks. But aside from that, it was a struggle all week, with the odd fish here and there (although plenty of VERY small ones if you scaled down to shrimps and feathers etc). Anybody reading the likes of sea angler, total sea fishing or boat angler magazines and seeing reports of superb fishing, take these with a pinch of salt. Probably freebie trips in return for a good write up I suspect. Also, we had some dvds featuring various well known anglers (john wilson, bobb nudd, dave lewis etc) having a great time out there and again, these are to be taken with the same big pinch of salt. (oh, and when these guys say it is warm at 2, 3am and they are in t-shirts? Well they must be hard as nails as, make no mistake, northeren Norway is colder than a snowmans cold bits!).

The notable fish caught during the week were cod of 18lb, 20lb, 2x25lb’ers, 29lb and a beauty of 42.5lb. there were a few in the mid teens and low doubles and then the inevitable smaller fish. However a few in our group didn’t even manage a double.

2 decent coalies, 1 of 12lb caught in open water with no other fish around, and a 10.5lb which I had spinning from the rocks near the house. Tonnes of tiny ones by the pontoon near the house.

We managed to find a local halibut hotspot and, fishing bait on the bottom with a classic solent boat rig, had halibuts of 3x3.5lb, 2x5lb, 6lb, 8lb 10.5lb, 12.5lb and 13.5lb with a good few wolfish thrown in for good measure, all around the 8-10lb mark.

A few haddock, some of 3-5lb and 1 cracker of 8lb.

Other species caught were redfish, lum, Pollack, whiting, poor cod and ling and for a party of 12 experienced boat owners and anglers, I don’t think the above is a very good return.

Flew with SAS who were crap on the way out, but good on the way back.

The host of the house (Tormod) was nothing short of fantastic. Our boat ran slow (19-21kph) and after I informed him he had it out of the water, bottom scrubbed, and back ready to fish (at a new speed of 33-36kph) in far less time than the hour he quoted. Also when one of our party left a bag at the house and only realised after we had driven 50mins to the ferry across lyngen, we managed to contact him via an interpreter and he dove the bag to the ferryport and arrived just as the ferry was docking. He refused any money for this (although we did leave him rather a lot of malt whiskey!)

We will try north Norway again. The base and facilities were brilliant. The fishing is overrated. We all agreed that a guide would be most helpful, even if he just phoned up a few times a week and told us where was fishing well. Local knowledge is invaluable, especially when you only have a week. We may even book up with a guide next year (the helpful interpreter was a fishing guide funnily enough). He informed us that commercials had been hammering the coalies offshore before they could get into the fjords this year so maybe this had something to do with it? Maybe we were a week or two late as somebody else (fishie29) had a good time there at the same place just a week prior? Who knows?

I will happily go into more detail on any aspect of the trip if anyone needs any info? Just ask!

Cheers,

nick

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear the trip didn't meet expectations. Not sure what the weather had been like while you were there. We had a few days where it was very pleasant at 3am and a few days where it was uncomfortably hot in the middle of the day. I know the forecast the day after we left was a bit miserable though. However my best fish all came on probabloy the worst day weather wise!

Yeah to start with on our trip it was quite easy., The birds were a dead giveaway as to where the fish were (though no other boats seemed to catch on to this!) but after perhaps day 3 they were a rare sight. We just had to work a bit to find them ourselves but once we found them they were usually in good numbers. Perhaps with the experience of previous trips we were better at finding the fish that in previous years? I'm not sure. It was easily the most fish we'd seen there by a country mile. If you discount my big fish then there were 5 fish over 20 landed. Perhaps to think it would be a 20lb fish a chuck is a little unrealistic. I try and be quite realistic in my aims when I travel then hopefully I don't come away disappointed. I was more than happy with the 27 I landed on the first day. In 5 years of travelling to the area we've managed at least one fish over 30 each year. Perhaps my success falsified the picture a little of what it is normally like I don't know.

I know JW was there the same week as me and landed fish to 34 from Skjervoy. One guy had a 58 dropping down a live coalie on a pirk.

For the others on the trip perhaps numbers of big fish were down, but numbers of medium fish (8-15lbs) were way way up.

As for the coalies, I don't think the area is well known for big coalies really. In fact this year we saw more than we'd ever seen before. Perhaps half a dozen between us in the mid-teens and a 25. We'd only had 2 doubles in the previous 4 years.

I'd be keen to know where you found the Halibut. Was it in one iof the areas I suggested?

We're currently looking for somewhere new for next year as we fancy a new challenge after 3 years at Hamniedet...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi mate,

yeah it was a shame that the fishing wasnt fantastic but at the same time it wasnt awful so not the end of the world.

we did try all of your marks and none of them produced! although as we all know the fish move loads so whats good one day can change by the hour!

i will happily give you the halibut mark. its very close to the base. i will have a look at the charts and email you some details.

cheers for everything mate,

nick

·
Registered
212 Posts
I guess that just goes to show those charter skippers can be right when they say we should have been there last week. I guess we must have hit it lucky!

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Well Nick it sounds like u had a good time :laugh: fish wise compared to us, our best day was the last day.

To begin with we charged about like headless chickens most of the week when we should have had a proper look at the marks shown to us by those in the know as others say it’s not like it is in the movies.:boat:

We caught loads of fish mostly small usually foul hooked but we had a fantastic time 3 out of 4 of us hooked fish that bent the rod under the boat only to lose them but that is what makes us want to go back. :boat:Anglers fishing not to far away had decent catches nothing huge but they all had halibut none of which were we able to catch, but we know they are there.

When we spoke to Holger Buricke (Fishing Guide) :hammer:eek:n the Troms Explorer “what a nice guy” he tried to put us right on marks around Skjervoy but when we tried conditions were not right, although poor Dave hooked a monster that his Fladen Rod 20 40 looked like he was holding a piece of hosepipe.

All the best fish we had were outside the house *S*Typical*S* after spending all that money on petrol.

One night out side the house :cold:approx 400 mt. away from the hpuse, I had a cod follow a hooked coalfish up from 40 meters, just as I was about to swing it in it became evident it was the ‘Mother’ of all cods, can’t wait to meet the ‘Grand Mother LOL on my next trip’ scared the life out of me, that fish was certainly 40lb plus. It slashed on the surface then it was gone many expletives next drop down Colin hooked one and it almost pulled him off the boat he had it on for 30 seconds but hook pulled. To sum it all up its like any venue first time don’t expect miracles but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Fishing apart, not brilliant fishing (as we were new to the venue) , but what great views and overall brilliant fishing trip and a fantastic time, expensive, but WORTH EVERY KRONA:kissing:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Nick Plum:

What species did you catch and what size? What tackle, tactics were you using and what ground depth were you fishing over? What was the weather like, were you able to get anywhere you wanted?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sorry to hear that you were not overly impressed with Northern Norway, I was Fishing Havnness Handlesstadd some weeks before and although it was not wall to wall fish, we had more than enough to put rather silly smiles on our faces. I think it is the knowledge that there are big fish there albeit not every drop which makes the place exciting.

Lets face it if you got a monster every drop then first of all you would be knackered and secondly the novelty would soon wear off. We certainly found that there are plenty of big fish around its just they are not everywhere, you have to go looking for them and there is an element of luck being that the newcomer has no local knowledge and it is very much chuck it and chance it.

I hope you give Norway another go because by the sounds of things you had a pretty good trip, where in the UK can you connect with a Halibut and a cod over 20lbs in the same day?

Regards Gregor..

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Martyboy - :fishing1:

We had loads of: -
· Small coalfish,
· Loads of codling,
· About two dozen cod between 8 and 26 pounds,
· 6 wolfies up to 14 pounds,
· Twenty odd torsk to 10 pound,
· Plenty small haddock biggest 6 pound,
· Some whiting & redfish,
· Small ling and a herring.
Most days we could get to where we wanted, but the weather can change quite quickly, you can see it coming so keep your eyes open if it starts to get rough. You’ll have to just tuck up behind an island or headland, but remember you still have to get back to base. Bearing that in mind on our last day it was blowing a hoolie, but tucked in behind a finger of land we found a large shoal of cod and caught on every drop for five drifts nothing huge mostly between 6 to 14 pound but great sport.
We tried all sorts of depths, but found consistent results between 50 to 80 metres, although you often caught shallow i.e. 50 or 60 metres over 80 metres of water.
Just watch your fish finder do not take this as a certainty that you will catch fish. The fish finder will often show fish and it’s a great confidence booster, but bear in mind that these fish may not be feeding. The fish finder works by bouncing signals off a fish’s swim bladder. When the fish are hunting they blow the air out so they don’t show up – we were told this by Holger Buricke in Skjervoy, who are we to question!
We often caught over deviations in the sea floor i.e. a rise or a drop with no fish showing on the sounder so be prepared to improvise. We used fladen 20 40 solid carbon 8 footers. 9-foot uptiders reels were loaded with 30-pound braid 300 metere with some backing 30 feet of 30-pound mono traces. Strong links are essential, for fun; use a 300 g pirk with 2 lures above.
For big fish use only a big pirk casting uptide i.e. in the direction you are drifting. This works really well especially in deep water when you may hit it right or hit it wrong, but it is a learning curve. You will have a great time if you don’t expect to catch 20 and 30 pounders every day. This is just hype.
Plenty of fish there, but to put it plainly two words spring to mind “Haystack and Needle”. Four of us went, all of us competent boat anglers but we are Norway Noddies - until next year!:1a:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Thanks for the info. Been to southern norway twice and im planning a trip north in 2010. Just sussing out the methods etc etc.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Martyboy - :fishing1:

We had loads of: -
· Small coalfish,
· Loads of codling,
· About two dozen cod between 8 and 26 pounds,
· 6 wolfies up to 14 pounds,
· Twenty odd torsk to 10 pound,
· Plenty small haddock biggest 6 pound,
· Some whiting & redfish, · Small ling and a herring.
Most days we could get to where we wanted, but the weather can change quite quickly, you can see it coming so keep your eyes open if it
starts to get rough. You’ll have to just tuck up behind an island or headland, but remember you still have to get back to base. Bearing that in mind on our last day it was blowing a hoolie, but tucked in behind a finger of land we found a large shoal of cod and caught on every drop for five drifts nothing huge mostly between 6 to 14 pound but great sport.
We tried all sorts of depths, but found consistent results between 50 to 80 metres, although you often caught shallow i.e. 50 or 60 metres over 80 metres of water.
Just watch your fish finder do not take this as a certainty that you will catch fish. The fish finder will often show fish and it’s a great confidence booster, but bear in mind that these fish may not be feeding. The fish finder works by bouncing signals off a fish’s swim bladder. When the fish are hunting they blow the air out so they don’t show up – we were told this by Holger Buricke in Skjervoy, who are we to question!
We often caught over deviations in the sea floor i.e. a rise or a drop with no fish showing on the sounder so be prepared to improvise. We used fladen 20 40 solid carbon 8 footers. 9-foot uptiders reels were loaded with 30-pound braid 300 metere with some backing 30 feet of 30-pound mono traces. Strong links are essential, for fun; use a 300 g pirk with 2 lures above.
For big fish use only a big pirk casting uptide i.e. in the direction you are drifting. This works really well especially in deep water when you may hit it right or hit it wrong, but it is a learning curve. You will have a great time if you don’t expect to catch 20 and 30 pounders every day. This is just hype.
Plenty of fish there, but to put it plainly two words spring to mind “Haystack and Needle”. Four of us went, all of us competent boat anglers but we are Norway Noddies - until next year!:1a:
You are spot on with everything you say mate ..... apart from being Noddies until next year!
We have been twice and although we caught plenty of fish and some good uns, we just cant seem to figure the place out!... with any consistency anyway.
Every bloody year is different.
That just may be our incompetence tho!
Interesting that stuff about the fishfinder and swim bladders.. thats the first time Ive heard that, I have met Holger and I am ready to believe it if thats what he says .
Good luck for next year!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was one of the guys fishing with Nick at Hammniedet, i found the fishing great at times but like you guys we spent alot of time finding the ickle buggers, but when you do find em it just blows your mind. We have booked again for next August and are all keen to get back up there and this time we feel better armed with information to make the trip even better.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Stevecatfisher - Hi guys thanks for your input we all thought it would be easy after reading and watching all the blurb on Norway now for the truth (as I see it) once you realise that it is not like fishing in a stewpond you will have a more realistic idea there is a massive amount of water out there and a large amount of fish finding the sods is not easy but once you do bonanza time we will try again next year but the memories of this year will stay with us forever a fantastic time was had by all its not all about fishing but the experiences we shared are priceless once we realised that it was not wall to wall cod (as told to me by everyone in the holiday guides ) we began to get our act together split into two groups and sussed out different areas and depths by the end of the week we had it half right catching more and bigger fish nothing huge but lost some good ones our biggest was a 26 hey ho nothing to write home about but had wolf fish red fish haddock ling coalies herring and **** fish boats were brilliant and the electronics were good too every day was different (if only for settled weather) in my opinion a sea map of the area you are fishing is essential once we obtained a copy our results escalated despite what you hear about tide not being an issue (it is)get a tide table and take note of wind direction you will always be able to find somewhere to fish no good trying to pirk vertically when boat is drifting at 5kph if you are not catching the scenery more than makes up for it as for fishing under the midnight sun forget it mid august unless you have night vision or not averse to Columbian marching powder if you choose 24 hr daylight then speed has the edge (so I understand ) you got to sleep sometime so a couple of bottles of duty free takes care of that but then u have to eat it’s a real dilemma sorting it all out if you all agree to a game plan before you set off on any given day you are on the right track no good arguing about where to go just all agree to do it and enjoy your trip out sometimes it will be wrong sometimes right the longer you stay right normally prevails just watch the weather it has a massive influence just to recap don’t believe everything you read or view about northern Norway its not that easy but trust your instincts and you will have a great time regards fish eagle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts