World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Any suggestions how to get rid of the smell of fish from ones hands.I&#39;ve washed them like Lady MacBeth but it still lingers on.</font>

·
Registered
7 Posts
<font color='#000000'>lemon juice and cold water
if you use hot water you "cook" the smell into your hands</font>

·
Registered
244 Posts
<font color='#000080'>Try using shaving foam/gel. Tends to do the trick. I&#39;ve also tried fabric conditioner diluted in warm water. Let me know how you get on.</font>

G

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000080'>Can&#39;t beat swarfega for getting rid of oily stains from hands, it&#39;s meant for removing engine oil etc so quite heavy duty.</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
<font color='#000000'>If you just try wiping your hands on a rag more often while fishing then the stink will not be so bad when you get home. &nbsp;Its best not to ask the wife - Do my hands smell fishy - especially when in bed&#33;</font>

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Latex gloves ,why get smelly in the first place ,I use them all the time when fishing, its not on the fish but bait as well .</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Thats a good point but does it take the slime of the fish that you are returning or rather how do you avoid this.</font>

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Slime etc can be wiped as easy from latex gloves as you hands in the first place,My point on using them is theres no lasting smell on you hands from ethier bait or fish ,doing knots ,rigging baiting ,theres no restriction wearing them I find ,But like all other items of fishing despose of them in a bin.:D</font>

C

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Superdrug the high street chain store do a hand gel called Clean + dry - get the citrus fragrance- its alcohol based and drys very quickly without wetting. I find that this works very well for &#39;fishy&#39; odours - it&#39;s also fairly cheap.</font>

·
Registered
23,100 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Any suggestions how to get rid of the smell of fish from ones hands.I've washed them like Lady MacBeth but it still lingers on.</font>
Seeing as your skin has absorbed the fish /worm juices you will have to rehydrate the skin to float the muck off.

During a session I tend to use a wet with salt water but well rung out micro fibre cleaning cloth to keep as much of muck off my hands as I can ( Lidel and Aldi for about £ 2.30 for three , they last ages & ages).wash the cloth out as & when needed during the session.

After a session before I drive back I usually use several baby fragrance free wipes to clean the majority of oils & muck of my hands ..paying attention to my nails as well .

Once home
Two or three washes each for two minutes in warm soapy water ( change the water every time ) using a nail brush then wash your hands with nail brush and soap rinse well in clean warm water , then using one of those stainless steel catalyst tablets that deodorize things from Morrisons @99p with the soap put a bit of soap on your hands and then clean the tablet in your hands for a few seconds making sure you get it to contact all of your hands ,fingers and backs of hands at some time during the clean.

Obviously each time you wash your hands use that nail brush in your nails as well as agitating your skin.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
use 'femfresh',works wonders for women!!:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Read all the above, can't believe it.

All you need is a bar of aluminium soap - looks like soap shape, made of ally, used in professional kitchens the world over. Guess you'll pick it up in Robert Dyas or somewhere like that. Does something with the ions, dunno what, but you can wash your hands with sea or fresh water, rub the bar all over and smells goes away. Doesn't shift visible dirt or muck though, you need something detergent-based for that.

I got a nailbrush, a bar of this and some of that hospital gel that I wipe on my hands just before getting in the car - I think my wet kit re-smells (?) my hands after I've washed them, and she complains the steering wheel stinks the next morning if I don't.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
For the people that use shaving foam etc, I do exactly the same thing... In the bathroom, scrubbing using normal soap - nope, still smells, then out of desperation using shaving foam, aftershave, mouthwash, shampoo, Jif, and anything else thats available to hand! For the record, I still have not found anything that really reall works, but keep hearing about these metal soap things that I dont understand.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The metal soap works well and last forever. I use the “wonder bar” which is available from Sportfish for about £10

Cheers

N.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts