World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..
Just the next step to getting kitted out.....
hand held GPS.. Something that will give me the way points, easy to read etc
Read about the garmen 72 and the etrax but ae ther any others that are better waterproff etc.. and what is are the above like to use?
Any help advice please.
many thanks
Bob

·
Registered
138 Posts
hi, I have the garmin gps 72 but have it mounted with the mount that came with it

it's a nice cheap unit and it allow you to add waypoints and mark them too when you find the fish

it also tracks your course on screen with a breadcrumb type trail so it makes it really easy to paddle back up and do the same drift etc.

it's reasonably waterproof, I've submerged it properly a few times, there's a little corrosion now on the interface contacts but I don't tend to use them often anyway

battery life on the two AA batteries it takes is very good and I get 3-4 3 hour trips out of it with ease

for planning I use local charts and plot waypoints on it before I go and then mark additional waypoints as I find fish on my travels

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Redfin can you store routes in it? I think, I saw on some of the info that you could only store one...

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
138 Posts
never tried that before, I just tend to set way points up in it and then press the goto button and select the waypoint. I also take a photocopy of part of the chart too that is easy to access whilst paddling and keep the main chart in a drybag with a compass as a backup

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
I think thats all I would neded unless anyone can come up with anymore that I'll need on it...
I also looked at a Humminbird 580 f/f gps plotter but, may think about these after getting the hang of using the equpment and other things I need to know using a yak.
Bob

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use the Garmin etrex venture hc which is good but the screen is a bit small, so if you can go for a bigger screen then do so. i would reccomend using some chart software - i use the garmin bluechart, but the humminbird navionics looks better.
I also use the facility to upload to the pc which is important to me as i use the gps as a log-book in effect and store the tracks. here's a recent one as an example (and cos it was fun :) )

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been searching for a handheld GPS for kayaking recently and settled on the Oregon 550 (there are others in the series and the Dakota with similar feature sets, but I really liked the thought of having a waterproof camera to hand all of the time). I'm also very impressed at how I can superimpose the routes and waypoints on Google Earth from Garmin's BaseCamp application (see attached images and there's some more information on my blog).

All depends on what you want to use the GPS for ... like jonny250, I'm using it for a log-book. I've got the waypoint button ready for when I catch that first bass! :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Depends what you class as purpose marine?.. something that bolts on and stay on?

I use my handheld mainly on the yak, though it has car navigation software and makes a good TomTom backup. I use it for Geocaching with the kids and it clips onto the handlebars of my bike.

For the money you spend you get a lot more flexibility.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Redfin can you store routes in it? I think, I saw on some of the info that you could only store one...

Thanks
Bob
I've got a Garmin 72, def a top contender on a Kayak being waterproof and the fact it floats (the floating bit def being the best feature, lost count how many times I've dropped it in when its loose!).

You can only set one route at a time, not that that really matters as you can list all the waypoints and just pick the nearest then move from one to the next, thats how I do it. Catch rate also went up since getting the GPS, gets me exactly where I need to be everytime.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've been searching for a handheld GPS for kayaking recently and settled on the Oregon 550 (there are others in the series and the Dakota with similar feature sets, but I really liked the thought of having a waterproof camera to hand all of the time)
Do you have problems reading th screen on the oregon as I read a review saying that in bright conditions it is difficult to see.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all,
Has anybody got the Garmin 76? Which I think is the next step up from the 72....
I.ll only use it for the wey points and just marking routes too and from not much more seems like the 72 will be fine just letting me know which way to paddle.
But just like to get all the info first before diving in.
If this all works out well I'll like to get a f/f and gps colour combo.
Thanks all all the info is useful even if its not on the garmens it makes me look at others to compare.
Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts