World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking too swap the power handles on my 6500 too smaller double ended one but cannot find any for sale, have tried abu but they say they have none in stock and also tried tackle shops. Any ideas anyone where to get a couple?

·
Banned
115 Posts
Don't think ABU have done the double handled jobbies for years now, there may be some kicking around somewhere if you search hard enough. Alternatively, try the original 7HT handle, as I think it's a straight fit on the 6000s?

T

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I am looking too swap the power handles on my 6500 too smaller double ended one but cannot find any for sale, have tried abu but they say they have none in stock and also tried tackle shops. Any ideas anyone where to get a couple?
Try peter coogan....01516773609....mob 07740306500 hes the man for abu spares!!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Funnily enough i swapped the handles on my Abu 6600 and Daiwa 7HT for the larger powerhandles. With the smaller handles they are a lot more fiddly and it seems like an age to winch fish in, the power handels definately make the job easier so i would advise to stick with them

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Did you look on eBay. I am sure there are some listed on there with many other out of production Abu spares. Just keep an eye out and be vigilant for scams and poor quality products.

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
post on here that you are looking for a straight swap.

someone will be looking to take there smaller handle off and fit a power handle.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Farm boy mate, why do you want to swap the power handels for the smaller less effecient handles? trust me the power handles are much better for winding in fish, the smaller ones just aint up to the job! but they do look better.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Some people actually get on better with a small 'finger grip' type handle, especially those blessed with small hands. They are also better if you use the 6000 size reels for heavy lure fishing IMHO, which is what they were originally designed for. I do prefer the big power handle for beach work myself but they can also cause problems with throwing the reel into gear mid-cast because of the weight and balance issue. ABU had to upgrade the 'free spool' lever springs in the early 'Rockets' for this very reason. So you may encounter the problem if you put the modern power handle onto an old reel.

Cheers, T.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replys and opinions, as to the reasons for changing the handles is because of having small hands and finding the large knob on the handle to large and as the smaller handles are only 5mm shorter than power handles i do not think that cranking power will be a problem. Lee

·
Registered
308 Posts
Must admit I'm one of those that like too use the small double handle, especially on the Abu 5500C ... it seems to make it a more balance reel and saves the gearing being over stressed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts