World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAscars said on another thread......... The harbour has a 6 kt limit but the tide flow up the harbour channel can be as much as that.

This is a situation that faces many of us and begs a definitive answer. Assuming the speed limit is set for safty and wash reduction, how is it going to be measured?

Speed through the water? 6knts into a 7knt current and you are going backwards over the graound but 6 knts through the water. OK then 6knts over the ground and you are doing 13knts through the water and kicking up a huge wash.
Could any of you with the judgement of Soloman decide how fast to go in a
6knts area ?

Poole my home base use radar guns. Down tide you get a ticket up tide you don't even if your going faster .... Go figure

Afishionado

C

·
0 Posts
Surely it should be the Speed Over Ground that counts but as said if you are going with the tide how can you keep the speed below the limit and still have control?
Someone must have an answer.

T

·
0 Posts
It is speed over ground where harbour and river limits are in force.
It does make a mockery of the "no wash" arguement though as every different hull design creates different levels of wash. Add to that the potential that through the water a boat could be doing twice what it is over the ground and you have potential issues with wash and errosion.

Speed over Ground is what you need to consider so take your speed reading from your GPS and not your paddle wheel.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is speed over ground where harbour and river limits are in force.
It does make a mockery of the "no wash" arguement though as every different hull design creates different levels of wash. Add to that the potential that through the water a boat could be doing twice what it is over the ground and you have potential issues with wash and errosion.

Speed over Ground is what you need to consider so take your speed reading from your GPS and not your paddle wheel.

That would seem logical to me Tom, but would our harbour master agree?

A lightish RIB coming through Brownsea Roads against the full flood would be well on the plane at 6knts over the ground. As for the wash thingy, that has always seemed bloody stupid to me. An 16 ft warrior whizing along at 17knts leaves hardly a ripple. A 30ft Tupperware box with a fly bridge has a HUGE wash at 12knts.
Having said that I am in favour of the Poole Harbour 10knt and 6knt limits. The main channel used to be a maelstrom of huge waves and foam whipped up by the 'Loadsamony chavs' racing past small sailing dinghies, fishermen, and passenger launches.

Afishionado

T

·
0 Posts
The Harbour Master is no fool.

He understands that they cannot have it all ways (No Wash and 6 knots max).

The speed limit is, in truth, less to do with wash, than it is to do with speed.
Speed kills (so the traffic ads tell us), and so they would rather keep your speed down in a congested area and avoid collisions in lieu of wash.
At the end of the day are boats are designed to handle a few waves, even if they are uncomfortable and often kicked up by some ignoramous in a gin palace.

The crunch of splintering fibreglass followed by the crunch of the passengers teeth against the console as two boaters collide at high speed is more of a worry.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
"30ft Tupperware boxes" & "Loadsamoney Chavs" sounds like you have have a flotilla of the "Birmingham Navy" in Poole as well Afishionado!:roll1:
I thought they were only in Swansea, seems that like dog crap, they are all over the country!:whistling:
blueskip

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"30ft Tupperware boxes" & "Loadsamoney Chavs" sounds like you have have a flotilla of the "Birmingham Navy" in Poole as well Afishionado!:roll1:
I thought they were only in Swansea, seems that like dog crap, they are all over the country!:whistling:
blueskip
Blueskip I think you have it 'Bang to rights' .

We have the UK base and manufacturing factories for Sunseaker boats down here and by golly are they and their skippers an example for all the twits in £100,000 boats. At £100,00 they are brash ingnorant iceholes, but move up to £300.000 to £2,000,000 and they are total gents. Polite professional and certainly no show offs. It's the Fairline 30 mob that need a RYA course.

Afishionado

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Langstone Harbour Master uses a speed gun from his boat. Given that his boat is being swept into or out of the harbour at up to 3 knots in a tide run, he must be measuring speed through the water not over the ground.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Blueskip I think you have it 'Bang to rights' .

We have the UK base and manufacturing factories for Sunseaker boats down here and by golly are they and their skippers an example for all the twits in £100,000 boats. At £100,00 they are brash ingnorant iceholes, but move up to £300.000 to £2,000,000 and they are total gents. Polite professional and certainly no show offs. It's the Fairline 30 mob that need a RYA course.

Afishionado
The £300k+ mob have their own skippers though. I've found that they can be just as much of a bunch of iceholes in the harbour entrance-though they don't stand out as much as there's less of them. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts