World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been some references to finding hard backed crabs in side Bass on here and, unless my memory is really failing me (!!!) I can remember finding stomachs stuffed with them. I can certainly remember rock cod spewing out hardbacks in the bottom of the boat (I tried sticking them on the hooks immediately but with no luck - just more on the lug/mussel!) I've felt hardbacks inside Wrasse also but then many advocate using little hardys for them under a float (they usually prefere wriggling rag in my experience!) I've had doggies on what was left of a big **** softy I trod on at St. Marys one Boxing Day one year in a snowstorm, ...... BUT i've never had a fish on a hard backed crab!!!!

What about you lot???

·
Registered
327 Posts
when i had my best bass last year it was stuffed up with hard backs around the size of a 50p never heard of anyone actually catching them on hardbacks tho - not that many try i suppose

·
Registered
533 Posts
I bought a small hardback into the boat last year hanging onto my lug , banged him straight onto the hook and chucked him out again ,, just to see ,, within 5 mins i had a bass on it nothing massive but a bass all the same ..... i wouldnt imagine a hunting fish would differentiate between a hard or soft back .???? personally i would think they would take any ... maybe a soft back is preferable though lol,,,
havent tried it since ,forgot to be honest! your post just reminded me , so must be worth a try again .... :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
My PB bass (5.5lb) had a stomach stuffed with 50p size hardbacks, although I caught it on peeler. Great post Swelleyman. I really should try some small hardbacks as bait

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure it's possible, but there's obviously a lot of drawbacks, like scent release, getting it on the hook etc. So not sure if there's any point persevering with something that's more hassle and less effective.

Only reason I can think of is that hardbacks are obviously easier to come across, but anyone able to find hardbacks should be able to get hold of enough peeler/softies with just a little effort.

·
Registered
785 Posts
ive used small hardbacks for wrasse on a number of occasions and done alright on them too - bigger fish if im honest, but nothing else on them

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very interesting so far! Small crabs are easy to hook once through the shell and will wriggle for a while. They might stimulate the predatory instinct and are easy to digest i'm sure. As I understand the attraction of peelers has a lot to do with hormones that they are releasing (they are females and attract males for mating when they moult - thus fill water around them with an interesting cocktail!)

The 'books' all say they should catch BUT over the years i've never caught on them. By the way you can only find a lot of peelers when there is a moult. Other times you can find them but only a few and it took a long time.

Many now freeze them, first taking out the gills which can ruin crab that is frozen - so they tell me!! I never froze crab. Always plenty of really big colourful and huge King Rag!! Those were the days!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
a high percentage of coddling and bass i catch in the strait have small hardbacks in them, funnily enough, never had a doggy with one in.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
A mate caught a hound last night that coughed a couple of crabs up. A softy and a hardback. Had loads of cod that have been stuffed with hardbacks, even in winter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In nature there is no waste, at least thats what I have noticed, so why do fish take hardbacks ?
I would guess that they need the minerals from the shells which break down with acids etc
Our problem as anglers is we think like humans where shells are spat out instantly..........fish snatch, dispatch then down the hatch .
Wholesome good grub full of juices :icecream:

·
Registered
98 Posts
like i said that bass i ad then the night after my m8 had a 4lb2ozbass they had hard crabs in never used them sounds like u can use them me i stick with the best bait in the wofld peeler crab

u got a fish job done:fishing1: happy days

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
I fish with hard back crabs in Florida and virtually everything eats them, Cant imagine our species are any different its just that nobody really uses them on a regular basis. They use them down South for smuts more than they use peeler and seem to have great success.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts