World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the codling I have caught of late had crab in there stomach, not soft body parts but hard shell claws and bits. Does this mean they are picking off or scavenging bits or are they eating the whole hardback crab?. P.R man

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
They'll scoff just about anything they can get in their bloody great gobs! If a cod(ling) comes across a crab, hard or soft it'll scoff it as soon as it can. We generally use softies/peelers as they easier to get on the hook, and more importantly, the females release pheromones in the run up to peeling to let the males know they are soon going to be up for a bit :love: Apparently fish can pick this up and hence they are better as bait.

Back on to the question though, I'm sure that cod, and most other fish for that matter, will eat crabs hard or soft, whole or in bits.

·
Registered
575 Posts
hardbacks,how do you mount them on the hook?
Pull off one leg and push hook through and our of the joint between the top and borrom carapace. Alternatively one local guy round here recomended attaching the hook to the shell with a blop of superglue, apparantly the crab just runs around untill something eats it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They arent a very good bait mate. They dont cast well, and are best used fishing short for Bass and Wrasse. Every year some big Ballans fall to hardbacks, but in my experience a peeler is better for them. To hook them simply turn the crab upside down and bring the hook point through the V shaped flap and out through the middle. I found this the easiest way to mount them, although hitting bites with hardbacks can be difficult as sometimes fish fail to get the whole of the bait and the hook point into their mouths.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The only experience I have of using hardback crabs is when I crushed one stuffed in a small squid and caught a 11lb conger. Apart from that I had no takers on my float fished h/back crab that day?

Woodster

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
Pull off one leg and push hook through and our of the joint between the top and borrom carapace. Alternatively one local guy round here recomended attaching the hook to the shell with a blop of superglue, apparantly the crab just runs around untill something eats it.
or until it buries itself in the sand.. lol !!

i have used hardback crabs of a certain type, and done fairly well on them when fishing for smoothounds, i lay em on their back, chop em clean in half, peel away the shell, and use big 4/0' pennels, nay bother hooking them, bind with some elastic, and lob it !

best is a 6-7lb smoothound, infact, most of my hounds last year, came to them. some were almost ready to peel, so had a skin underneath, but otherwise they were hard !

·
Registered
671 Posts
Got to agree, I have caught plenty of cod with hard backs in their stomach but they don`t make the best bait, I have had much better results with peelers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
peeler crab is much better because of all the juices and sent that the crab releases, hard backs will catch fish but no where near as many as peeler.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have heard that the females release a scent just before casting the old shell which the males are attracted, to advatise they are ready to mate?, or have I gone off on a tangent or a throwback to my (crabless!!!) youth? P.R man

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The scent the females give off are "pheromones" - the crab equivalent of Chanel Number 5 lol

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Just popped up to LIDL to see what they had as so many have waxed lyrical about the place. I saw some very maroon Velvet crab and wondered if they were any good?

Now my follow on question, in the search box I typed Velvet crab but a lot of the search results came up crab/peeler crab. How do I exlude the latter and just search for the former, do I enter "Velvet+crab", or "Velvet crab NOT peeler"? Boulian thingywise????????Tony

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
AFAIK Boolean search only works on vBulletin when you search from Advanced Search AND Boolean Search is enabled on the site settings.

Dunno whether the BS is enabled on here, but try clicking into the Advanced search, then entering (without the quotes):

"velvet NOT peeler"

Cheers

Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts