World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to the boat yesterday to have a poke around and try and get rid of some of the rubbish in the Cabin area,what a surprise! everything that was bolted had over length screws protruding, bolts from the outside instead of coming from the inside. Just shoddy workmanship and not caring, these things are an easy fix.
Started to take out the old car stereo and other nick nacks that they had stuck on the shelf,what an eye opener all the wiring came from the twin of on cut out switch's and the battery and ran up the wall of the wheelhouse just stuck to the wall with mastic. I'll stick a few pick's up, and I'm open to suggestions, but I'll be starting from scratch.
I aim to fit two stand alone Plotter fish finders, (I have already got the Lowrance 7 Elite T1,just need a transducer, Not sure whether to get the Hook 7 reveal or the Hook 9 reveal. ( The 9 only does the 50/200 transducer and the 7 has the option of either the 83/200 or the 50/200) open to advice I have the NMEA grey cable with the two yellow ends to connect them. I also have a I com m44 to connect along with running lights Anchor light and two bilge pumps. I was wondering if the AIS units are worth fitting,don't know much about them. No doubt I'll have forgotten something. Rod holder.jpg Anchor light 2.jpg Anchor light.jpg Gunnel 1.jpg The begining.jpg Behind one of the pump switch's.jpg Main wirning going to switch paneel.jpg Old transducers.jpg Switch panel.jpg Transom.jpg

·
Registered
11,361 Posts

Looks like they used a pet rat to cut the holes!!!!!...think I would get a sheet of thin ply and cover that lot over. Im on my second project in the last 12 months, where I found it easier to just pull all the old wiring out rather try to make any sense of it!!.

In relation to the Lowrance units, this simply comes down to how much you want to spend as they will both do virtually everything the average angle wants and more. I think when Lowrance mention 200-50khz they are referring to any of the transducers on offer within this range, which includes all the airmar chirp as well as their own transducers (chirp again). Personally I don't think running a transducer in full auto chirp is always the best way to go. If the transducer has a range of say 130-210khz and you are only fishing 30-40m you will get better results by manually setting the frequency to around 175khz to seperate the fish from each other and structure.

With nmea2000 you also need a nmea starter kit, which is connected to the 12 volt system and then you can link them all together using the hub connecters. Having two units like you mention networked is pretty handy as you can simply put the cursor over an interesting bit of structure or fish and quickly save it as a waypoint that will instantly show on the unit being used as a plotter.

How does that steering cable feel in full rotations without an engine connected ? They aren't overly expensive and might be easier to replace before the engine goes on if it doesn't feel great. You can rig up a way to lube them pretty easily if needed.

Ais is something Ive never had but I have considered them a few times. We don't get anywhere near the boat traffic you do or rarely experience fog so haven't felt the need. Besides the biggest amounts of boats we have on the water are from trailer boats, where Ive yet to meet anyone with AIS fitted.

Hows the trailer looking underneath ? Im just heading off to the tyre sales place to grab three large tyres so I can slip my boat off onto the garden and give my trailer a good work over. The trailer is always high priority because if something goes on that you could be dragging your pride and joy up a motorway at 110kh on its hull!!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The trailer is always high priority because if something goes on that you could be dragging your pride and joy up a motorway at 110kh on its hull!!!
Not without a proppa Land Rover he wont. That mincing merc parked next to the boat is probably the wife's.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BruceK I'm the mincer who owns the Merc!!! The wife has one as well, but to be honest I'm thinking of getting an older Range Rover 3lt with the BMW diesel engine as the Merc is too low for a fat arse to be climbing in and out.
JonD the trailer is in very good condition but we will be keeping the boat in the Marina. And as you see all that cr-p at in the wheel house is no more.Ididn't realise that you had to get a NMEA kit!! so it will just as I said joining the two with the cable. The steering is working fine but I did wonder about that fixed gimble type of fitting thru the outboard well,might have to change that and fit a rubber grommet type.
Thank's about the advice on the AIS I won't bother with one, still have to make up my mind about the new Plotter/finder I might just go with the 7" then I'll have a matching pair just the type my Lovely Bruceey would approve off.
Thanks Bill.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a few pictures that didn't load,I cleared the lot out,about two miles of wiring,so looking for the best way to re-wire.
I don't want to be an old bitter Land Rover driver like old BruceK.
After a clear out.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Once you've finished with your boat you'll be ready for a Land Rover. A proper boat needs a proper car. Especially when you get older. Nothing worse than seeing a fat old bloke destroy his knees getting out some mincing abomination. For dignity one climbs up to the throne, one doesnt squat down to reach it.
And I am not bitter. I am a happy drunk. 🍻

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well said Uncle Bruce, I have always been a Landcruiser Chappy me self, I've had four of the Beasts, my last one was the 4.7 V8 but watching the fuel gauge go down stopped being my favourite pastime. Had Merc's for the last few years and love them,but as you said it's time to Man up.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I own a cruiser, watching the Land Rover get more than 18mpg gives me a hardon. It's like driving for free.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Dont go all hip hop on us now, I dont wear bling. Back to wiring. Show us your proposed electrical drawings and wire gauge. Give us old timers something to slap our gums over

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do Homey!!
Cheers BruceK I was thinking of fitting twin batteries a 110AH leisure and a 75/80AH Van/ car battery in sequence, then two bus bars 1+ and 1- and connect the switch panel to them and the units as well. I'll have to try and scribble something down.
Cheers Bill.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I was thinking of fitting twin batteries a 110AH leisure and a 75/80AH Van/ car battery in sequence
Let me flap my gums about that one.

I wouldn't!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Done a bit more tonight, the floor below the two seats in the cabin wasn't great so decided to strip it out.
The previous owner had used 9mm ply and the boat had been sitting in his yard uncovered with all kinds of weather blowing into the open cabin so the ply was rotten in some places. When we removed the floor they had polystyrene packed below the floor into the gaps,once remover the original boat struts etc were as good as new,very solid.
So tomorrow I will be buying some 18mm hard wood or marine ply and refitting the floor,I might even fibreglass it in as I have some and a few tubs of resin and some hardener and lots of glass. The wee covers over the scuppers/ (not sure if scuppers is the correct term)Drains need to come off and cleaned up.I measured up along the sides as there used to be a big rope along side these Hardy's so all the holes are still there,and I'm going to get a strip of Hard wood for each side f and some polish it up then add some varnish and see how it looks.
I still need a new Plotter/finder but don't know what to go for.
Cheers Bill.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts