World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tips for beginners like me:

I fished there yesterday for the first time. Beautiful day, started to rain and got windy (tripods going over) mid afternoon.

I had had some information before I went; fish low and up to 4hrs up.

It is easy and free to park on the promenade and about 10 mins to walk out at low tide. There is a 'Y' shaped water break, head out to the right hand side. Start at low water and fish up as the tide comes in.

I was after plaice, but I guess bass might be found there is the warmer months, whiting in the winter.

I had 2 beach rods, green and black beaded double flapper and a 't bar' plain double on the other, just for variation, size 1 hooks. Black lug frozen (from Shack and Bait). Not tipped. Although a tip I had on the day was to use a small piece of squid to stop the lug falling down the hook. I would have tipped with mackerel if I'd had any.

When you arrive at low there is an obvious channel 100m beyond the sea break where you cast, I set up level with the right hand tip of the water break, with the steps behind me. I caught first, the chap who was further right from me ~ 100m caught least.

There were 3 others fishing and we all caught. I had 5, the ;beaded; edged the 't bar'; 4:1. The bites started about 1hr after low, all of a sudden. The bites were subtle, in fact 3 gave no bite at all, but I might of missed them, with all the movement (see below).

The chap next to me was from Stoke, my home town (I live in Heswall now), and the next chap along was a chap (R Kelly) I fished next to on my first ever trip (Town Hall) back in November. On both occasions he has been very helpful and friendly when I knew/know very little .

The tide does come in quickly, and if you do catch, and struggle to get the fish off, then the sea can be round the tripod before you know it. Wear wellies or waders.

I had my tackle box 30m behind the tripod. Cast, move box back, after 20 mins move tripod back to box, reel in, re-bait, cast, then move box back 30m, repeat.

Back to plaice and their ability to take the bait in deeply. (I have ordered some circular hooks). I have seen people leave hooks in, surely that can't be a good thing? I have mastered the gill flap method, but still struggled with two of the fish. I did succeed but it took a time. When I put the fish back, they didn't move at all, whereas the other 3 quickly buried themselves which I saw as a good thing. I do know a fish might take a time to recover, but I gave them several minutes and nothing, and the tide was fast coming in, hence I brought them home. There was no bleeding or obvious trauma to either fish. Should I have waited longer, one chap had a bucket, might this have been a 'recovery vessel', so as not to wait at the water's edge?

As the tide came in, my direct path back took me to the edge of the sea break and it was getting windy and rainy, so I packed up, as did the other three.

Tip, make sure if you have your mobile to have it in a fastened pocket. As I was packing up and bending over, guess where mine ended up, not only on the beach, but in f**king water. Less than a year old. Am I aloud to print expletives on the site? It still works but will not charge. Hopefully I can get it repaired otherwise the 4 plaice fillets in the fridge will have a £50 price tag....each!

I know this report is not for the seasoned angler, it's aimed at the beginner, like me.

I would be grateful for comment, especially around the degorging issue, and if other species might be expected.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Living in where you are, you have some great spots to go fishing without having to go a long way, you can't go wrong. good luck mate!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts