World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and Lee(JLR) fancied hartley skeer today for a couple of hours either side of low tide.
I've never fished it before but it's Lee's favourite mark and he knows the crack there, its best fished at low water because the skeer is like shelves of flat rock. So the lower the tide, the further out and more access to the kelp beds you have.
It's by far the hardest, most demanding place I've ever fished. If you like fishing kelp youl love this mark its like a jungle out there and if you dont reel in as fast as you can your in trouble pall( I learned the hard way ha).
We were both using similar set ups, pulley rigs with rotten bottoms and heavy sinkers and we both had mixed baits.
We got our baits in the water just before sun down and im sure my first 3 casts had fish on but swam into snags( I dont mind not landing the fish coz its just good news to see so much intereast and nocks on ye rod).
After that everything changed, if me and Lee were in a competition to see who could empty as much of there tackle boxes as possible and chuck it all in the sea, we would both of been winners haha.. I was loosing gear nearly every cast me, Lee was just mostly his leads and a couple of shockleaders. Ah and he bent over to do something and split himself a new arse hole in his pants hahaha..
About an hour in and we were joined by another fisherman and as I was having a bit crack with him i seen Lee trying to sneak past me haha... he had a fish on didnt he.. "YESSSSS LEE" I shouted, "shut up micky man" haha he was trying to get the fish off and back in the water before we seen how small it was lol.. unlucky Lee haha...
But a fish is a fish! Even 1 that gets lost in the middle of ye dish!
After that I lost more and more gear, at 1 point my braid got severed and I lost everything, sat and made a new rig with fresh bait looking lovelly and must of reeled in a tiny bit far before the cast and the **** cracked off. I could of cried man honestly..
A couple of hours in and I was on, yesss!!! reeled it in and it was a rockling aaah gutted, I was too embarrassed to ask Lee to take a photo of me with a fish he classes as a gynx haha..
I think most people would of packed up after a couple of hours tonite and maybe we should of but none of us were giving in that easy, we wanted that doubler man..
We must of fished about 5 hours in total and we decided to pack up and before Lee could reach for his rod "tap, tap, tap", "cod nock". He pulled in a canny codling lol happy days, it was just under 35cm so it got returned to fight another day.
It was hard going tonite but 3 fish is better then a blank and youv got to fish the hard ground if ye want good fish.

This is a cracking mark, if you like rough ground coz it produces massive kelpy cod on its day. And its easy access(if you don't mind steps) with free carpark just off the main road.
NE264RB(POSTCODE FOR CARPARK)

P.s. for anyone new like me who fishes rock marks, "buy yourself some studs for your boots/wellies" my god ive just done mine and you can run about on the rocks like a nitter and not slip over honestly there class..
its so much easier/safer across the rocks. It makes a massive difference.

Attachments

· Registered
1,225 Posts
I’ve found that fishing rough ground that using grip leads stops them falling into cracks and getting wedged.
More often than not it’s a hook what snags but trial and error has lead me to use sakuma manta hooks that have a cracking hold on a fish but will bend out of a snag with a bit of pressure and I usually get my gear back.

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve found that fishing rough ground that using grip leads stops them falling into cracks and getting wedged.
More often than not it’s a hook what snags but trial and error has lead me to use sakuma manta hooks that have a cracking hold on a fish but will bend out of a snag with a bit of pressure and I usually get my gear back.
That's great mate thanks very much, I dont have much experience with different hooks so this is excellent info for me. I've been starting to doubt all my gear, I always do when I dont mannage to land much. Iv been using circle hooks but I've been wanting to change. Il get some ordered now and let you know how I get on next time out marra

· Registered
213 Posts
I use mustad viking hooks at Hartley and they usually bend when they get snagged., as long as your trace isn't too light. There is a lot of kelp, but that's where the fish are feeding. It's rockling city at Hartley - my record is 6 in one session! Great report Micky.

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use mustad viking hooks at Hartley and they usually bend when they get snagged., as long as your trace isn't too light. There is a lot of kelp, but that's where the fish are feeding. It's rockling city at Hartley - my record is 6 in one session! Great report Micky.
Thanks mate, I'm going to do away with the circles for the next few sessions and see if I preffer the normal hooks iv already got some mustad uptide and if just ordered some sakuma manta so il see how they perform compared to what iv been using. Hopefully I won't loose as much gear next time out cos it's a bit soul destroying when your rig making/re baiting instead of fishing lol

· Registered
405 Posts
I like Aberdeen hooks on rough ground. They are fine wire and bend easily when caught on a snag, but I've never had one straighten out on a fish though. I'd use a 4/0 or 6/0 if cod or big fish are likely and smaller sizes are ideal flattie hooks i.e, size 1 or 1/0.

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great report, bud. Ill be buying a new bib n brace before next trip out though ha ha. Hopefully get some better fish next time.
Were Gunna smash it next time out marra, was gunna go to cullercoats tonite but rutherfords shut at 1pm so just gunna leave it till Tuesday mate. Me and jacky will meet you there mate, hopefully intime for the massive tide

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.