World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting follows from smallish bass on this plug....

......but no takes
What should i do?? Smaller plug maybe??

·
Registered
729 Posts
Keep winding...!

Bass have big mouths so I'm not sure you should scale down...more likely they are changing their mind when they get close.

Keep trying or try a different plug for a while.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Proflogger,
If your getting follows but no takes. Try giving the lure a bit more speed in the retreive, if that doesn't work, the try a sudden burst of speed two or three times during your normal retreive.
A mate had a similar problem. He was/is a sweet water angler. He just couldn't get his head around how fast bass are "when" they want a plug. So he was getting tons of follows and no takes. Got him to retreive faster, fewer follows, but now he is getting takes.
Think baitfish in blind terror, running for it's life. It wouldn't stroll along would it.

Oh and if the above doesn't work, do a couple of retreives with the plug, then a quick change to a 20g toby. Retreive along the same line. That often gets a hit.

tight lines,
Tunny

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
If getting follows but no takes i will change to a brighter lure

remember you want the lure to look like a wounded or sick fish not a healthy fit fish vary the retrieve speed when you see a follow lift the rod a touch to speed the lure up keep retrieving steady if you get a knock stop then start the retrieve again only stop for a second

most important keep at it dai

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,079 Posts
I keep getting follows from smallish bass on this plug....

......but no takes
What should i do?? Smaller plug maybe??
This plug imitates a single baitfish swimming in the 'traditional' Rapala way.

Try making it look wounded and more erratic in its motion.

I would like to see if you got the same response from other plugs etc.

The "J" series Rapalas are great (old fashioned) plugs that have been proved to be wonderful fish catchers over the decades but they do have a bit of a monotonous action and some of the more modern plugs may entice more actual hits.

·
Registered
435 Posts
On days when fish are consistently pulling up short of a full-blooded attack a small trailing fly/feather 10cm behind your lure (replacing the rear treble), can make a difference...

CP

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Chuck out a spinner baited with rag,they wont just follow it ,theyll often nail it.
Seen the Bass following Xslayers,they deffo get their attention,cast a baited spinner out and bang ...fish on!!....fish(s) lol.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Not that i've had a bass on a lure yet, but i love the action of those j11's. Sometimes i wish rapala would produce some of their older lures with more modern concepts (like a rattle for a start). :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Not that i've had a bass on a lure yet, but i love the action of those j11's. Sometimes i wish rapala would produce some of their older lures with more modern concepts (like a rattle for a start). :)
And some kind of weighted casting system. I find they really dont cast well at all into any wind.

·
Registered
988 Posts
And some kind of weighted casting system. I find they really dont cast well at all into any wind.
you can still get CDJs on the auction site. They cast a lot better and you can vary the depth they run at. That helps with the shy takers too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts