World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Raider 18 Owner
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAS ANYONE FISHED HMS WHIRLWIND OUT OF CARDIGAN, IF SO WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT TO CATCH AND WHAT STATE OF THE TIDE IS BEST. ME AND MY SON PLAN ON HAVING A GO THIS SUMMER IT WILL GIVE US A CHANCE TO TRY OUT OUR NEW BOAT .IF ANYONE CAN HELP IT WILL BE APPRECIATED.:boat:

· Registered
1,439 Posts
hi mate, i dont live in your neck of the woods but i wud advise to check its not classed as a war grave, i dont now the history of the ship but remember sometime ago someone telling me that some are protected as life was lost on them. i mite be wrong if anyone can put more light on the subject.:g:

G

·
I am pretty sure you can fish a war grave (many of the popular ones on my stretch of coast are) but if you should happen to pull up any part of the wreck or its contents they must be returned. Divers should not take anything from a war grave.

· Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi Barry

Did a quick search on this ship and found this info:

On 5 July 1940 HMS Whirlwind (Lt.Cdr. John Malcolm Rodgers, RN) was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-34 about 120 nautical miles west of Lands End, south-west England in position 50º17'N, 08º48'W.
The U-boat reported that one torpedo hit underneath the bridge that broke off the forepart that sank immediately while the rest of the ship stayed afloat for some time.

I think you will have a long way to go to find it. :unsure:

Dave
:g:

· Registered
12,188 Posts
The Whirlwind's off Aberporth. Gets fished often - can hold a few nice pollack but not always. Seems a bit hit & miss at times from what I've heard.

Cheers - John
Blimey poor old Whirlwind didn't have much luck did she? version 1 gets sunk in 1940, replacement built in 1943 only to be sunk again in 1974, at that rate every other wreck will be HMS Whirwind!:g:
blueskip

· Registered
200 Posts
I've fished the Whirlwind (the one off Cardigan) a number of times in the past. As far as I know this was target practice for the aberporth firing range so is not a war grave as it was neither sunk during the war or is a grave, so no worries there.

Its dived quite often as its one of the few wrecks around this area.

As far as fishing is concerned it's OK but not brilliant. We have had several small pollack off it but nothing too big. That was a few years ago so it may have improved.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

Regards
Osprey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.