World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying this reel, i understand it's fairly cheap compared to others so just wondering if anyone has used it and what the build quality is like, cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've used the R10. The build quality is good.
I found it cast really well. The line lay is excellent , the retrieve is good and the darg is ample for anything in British waters.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a R8 which, although a little smaller than the R10, is plenty big enough for me. I'm very pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Got a pair of rivals for chrimbo, one the surfcasting pack with 3 braid spools. Have the usual Penn 'bulletproof' feel, solidly built, quite heavy, smooth retrieve and cast well. Drag is very smooth and locks easily. Bail lock works. Beware that just a reel will come without a spare spool. I only use them on very dark nights with a bad back (multipliers out) so have only used them a couple of times, but do the job (biggest fish a 4lb bass so far) and replace Penn 7000 surfmasters from the early 90s. Don't expect Shimano posh finishes, but no cheap plastic bits, just understated matt black carbon plastic with blue, gold or black anodised highlights. I was and am impressed with them. I'll come back after a session on the rocks with 50lb braid, though I doubt it'll faze them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts