World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have never been out crabbing for peelers, but wanted to give it a go. I know they only have a short window of peeling and sometimes have a second moult later in the year, but have I missed the boat for now, or are they still peeling. Not asking for anyones secrect locations or anything, just want to know if I would be wasting my time looking for them at the moment?

Cheers for any advice guys..

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
Hi all,

I have never been out crabbing for peelers, but wanted to give it a go. I know they only have a short window of peeling and sometimes have a second moult later in the year, but have I missed the boat for now, or are they still peeling. Not asking for anyones secrect locations or anything, just want to know if I would be wasting my time looking for them at the moment?

Cheers for any advice guys..
Only way is to find out, should still find some, as it varies from location and temperatures in the Spring time and Autumn, don’t take any from traps and please place the rocks back.

·
Registered
342 Posts
In N Wales they are at the far end of their Moult....numbers are 100% definitely dwindling for peelers from my records normally last 2 weeks May are best but to me it seems they started slightly early this year...

its about now they start coming inshore to breed and ya can catch peelers being mounted by the bigger crabs (tend to be deep red in color) . so ya wont get as many Peelers.. but will still get them as they mating

Mid to late Sept and 1st cple Weeks October is 2nd Moult up here in N Wales.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Went yesterday and some **** didn't put the traps back , to be honest it must of taken more effort to move them 2 foot away from their original setting .
To answer your question they are finishing got about 1 in 5 which is down from a few weeks ago , where I was getting 120/150

·
Registered
342 Posts
Went yesterday and some **** didn't put the traps back , to be honest it must of taken more effort to move them 2 foot away from their original setting .
To answer your question they are finishing got about 1 in 5 which is down from a few weeks ago , where I was getting 120/150 View attachment 1178393
ditto mate.... normally get 150-200+ (NO traps , all natural picks from where they set emself) .

went other day and only got 70'ish ... and most of them was right on the tideline mating... barely any crab in the normal places . and wasnt many crab normal places period.. let alone peelers.

only be a week maybe 2 max i think before i stop going to my spot.

·
Registered
26,590 Posts
The first spring moult is the c0ck moult over in a few weeks or so, the hens spread their moult over a much longer period. They can only mate when they are softs and are usually picked up by a male first and carried around

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.