World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, am new to the site.

Yesterday (11/08/09) High tide: 2.30pm Time of Arrival: 1.00pm

Me and my dad went fishing down haslar sea wall, we weren't expecting much, and on the 2 hook slapper lure only got a bream, however it seems feathers are best down there in 3 hours we had 6 mackerel and loads of whiting, yes whiting. They weren't of any size, but still shocked us that they are even out at this time. The mackerel however were hitting on 30cm each, not much in weight but still all good for the pot.

Knightsy

·
Registered
194 Posts
hi Knightsy, was it just random casting that yah picked the makki up or where they bubbling up down there, went to stokes on sunday walked up to Kicker, not a sniff of mackerel
Cheers
Gray

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
a friend of mine had whiting of a portsmouth beach already. they are early this year

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
yes and pasty steve had whiting from lee on solent the other day, but its wierd as we then saw a huge shoal of makerel so he had a few of them to

my thinking is because the water hasnt really had alot of time to warm up

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
yes and pasty steve had whiting from lee on solent the other day, but its wierd as we then saw a huge shoal of makerel so he had a few of them to

my thinking is because the water hasnt really had alot of time to warm up
pin or channel whiting?,seems every year they get earlier as do the cod,i've had macks and gars in daytime then codling at night! :blink:...still better than crabs :thumbs:

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
Had one whiting about 5oz from Lee and another tiny pin from Southsea last week, There was also a 6lb Cod caught from behind the Sealife centre in daylight!

The funny thing is that the guy who caught it was down from Whitley bay and hoping to catch his first Bass of Smut, as all he ever catches up there are Codling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aye my dad been fishing his whole life and he said they were whiting plus another person down there said they wer whiting.
and jack they were all about 3-6in nothing big, thanks for the tip, ill keep that in mind next time (Y)
the water down here seems to have a right old mix for this time of year then??

and to gray they were bubbling for a min or two then there was no bubbling, this was when we caught them, just random casts 20-30ft out, all of nice size as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts