World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed at long last to catch up with 3-6oz (Graham) after speaking to him about fishing in the Gosport area. I gave him directions where to set up and said I would join him as soon as I could.

Graham had arrived at Haslar wall a few hours before I managed to join him. I parked the car and with Marcus a friend from work, we began taking our kit out. As we did a guy leaving the wall said he had caught a silver eel but the bloke in the corner had just landed a 5lb smoothound. Great I thought and said that will be Graham who I was supposed to be fishing with. Marcus and I walked to the edge and shook 3-6ozs hand and introduced ourselves. I mentioned to Graham that we heard about his fish and was pleased that he had caught.

After setting up and changing bait a few times, my rod nearly slid down the slope taking the rod rest and other rod with it. Grabbing the rod, and reeling as quickly as I could, I managed to make some distance pulling this fighting fish in. Much to my disbelief, the handle of the reel came off in my hand. Metal and rust fatigue! :uhuh: Graham came to the rescue and suggested I hand reel the fish in. So pulling and heaving the fish eventually came to the surface and was helped up onto the ledge by Graham. Marcus had began to move his lines out of the way as I brought my second line up attached to the weed on the line with the smoothound on. It was weighed by Graham and myself at approximately 6lb 12oz:clap2: . I was using frozen peeler on a one hook clip down at fair distance so you can imagine the line on the wall when I had finished. Cutting two lines, re- baiting and attaching a different reel I was able to carry on.

Just after dark Marcus landed his smoothound on a running ledger with peeler again, so withing 4 hours we had all caught a smoothy. It was just after this that Graham departed and made his way home. Deciding that we would have one more cast each before Marcus and I left, I managed to land this small smoothy. All fish where returned and we had an enjoyable, yet wet and blowy evening:) . Graham, what a gent, it was great to meet you and thanks for a good evenings fishing, we will have to do it again.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The photo's of the afore mentioned session, I would expect 3-6 oz to attach his picture as this was caught before we arrived.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Cracking fish there mate, looks like a really good session. When over the tides was fishing best?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
High tide on Friday was 19:22.

3-6oz had his just before 17:30, mine came at 20:00 and 22:00, Marcus landed his around 21:00.

All times approximate I am not a clock watcher unless its time to leave work to go fishing.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Lol, Cheers. Think tonight could be good with the tides being around 21.00. So I will be sat watching the clock at around 17.30 waiting to leave work! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I managed at long last to catch up with 3-6oz (Graham) after speaking to him about fishing in the Gosport area. I gave him directions where to set up and said I would join him as soon as I could.

Graham had arrived at Haslar wall a few hours before I managed to join him. I parked the car and with Marcus a friend from work, we began taking our kit out. As we did a guy leaving the wall said he had caught a silver eel but the bloke in the corner had just landed a 5lb smoothound. Great I thought and said that will be Graham who I was supposed to be fishing with. Marcus and I walked to the edge and shook 3-6ozs hand and introduced ourselves. I mentioned to Graham that we heard about his fish and was pleased that he had caught.

After setting up and changing bait a few times, my rod nearly slid down the slope taking the rod rest and other rod with it. Grabbing the rod, and reeling as quickly as I could, I managed to make some distance pulling this fighting fish in. Much to my disbelief, the handle of the reel came off in my hand. Metal and rust fatigue! :uhuh: Graham came to the rescue and suggested I hand reel the fish in. So pulling and heaving the fish eventually came to the surface and was helped up onto the ledge by Graham. Marcus had began to move his lines out of the way as I brought my second line up attached to the weed on the line with the smoothound on. It was weighed by Graham and myself at approximately 6lb 12oz:clap2: . I was using frozen peeler on a one hook clip down at fair distance so you can imagine the line on the wall when I had finished. Cutting two lines, re- baiting and attaching a different reel I was able to carry on.

Just after dark Marcus landed his smoothound on a running ledger with peeler again, so withing 4 hours we had all caught a smoothy. It was just after this that Graham departed and made his way home. Deciding that we would have one more cast each before Marcus and I left, I managed to land this small smoothy. All fish where returned and we had an enjoyable, yet wet and blowy evening:) . Graham, what a gent, it was great to meet you and thanks for a good evenings fishing, we will have to do it again.
Ivor,

Great to meet you at last, and a good session too, (Marcus did a good job ! )
I'm pleased to say also, good trip home and spent most of Saturday drying out my kit !, pleased that I didn't put my Floatie in storage (loft)
Thanks for the company and fish ...... I'll get piccies off camera and mailed to you asap.
BTW the picture you have with the Rodbag in the background is the one we need, will be in touch ref this.

Have read the report with Stu as well, again brilliant fish and hope it will be one of many. :clap3:

Regards

graham

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Graham
Thanks, will look forward to receiving the pics.
Do you fancy a session somewhere on Friday?
Pompeyboy needs to get a bigger fish
Regards
Ivor

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
well done to you mate, we fished around at gillkicker and had a successful night too.(anglers catches/gallery)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts