World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick report from Thursday ! Prior the world dab fishing comp and this recent wind, The dab have arrived, I was looking at some great catches coming in on facebook and was made up to actually get a few fish myself. Im not a regular Beach Angler but these little fish were most welcome. As an added bonus no whiting either!
Despite the smaller tides there was a nice swell mixing things up too. A lot of these dabs were undersized but a couple came up really fat

I made a short video for you tube here ;

Bait was fresh lug all on three hook flappers. I also tried the Loop rig but find it a bit fiddly.I think for now on where casting distance isn’t paramount I will ditch them and stick to the size 1 hooks on flappers.
Ive also seen a number of mentions for cockle and fish strips catching dabs this February.
Am I missing out here ? Again lots to learn now I’ve started fishing from the beach more regually again.I also still struggle to see the difference between dab and flounder so if anyone spots me misidentifying them please let me know !
I know they are only small fish but still well worth fishing for with a chance of one or two for the table.Lets hope they stick around for the championship !

·
Registered
20,971 Posts
Quick report from Thursday ! Prior the world dab fishing comp and this recent wind, The dab have arrived, I was looking at some great catches coming in on facebook and was made up to actually get a few fish myself. Im not a regular Beach Angler but these little fish were most welcome. As an added bonus no whiting either!
Despite the smaller tides there was a nice swell mixing things up too. A lot of these dabs were undersized but a couple came up really fat

Bait was fresh lug all on three hook flappers. I also tried the Loop rig but find it a bit fiddly.I think for now on where casting distance isn’t paramount I will ditch them and stick to the size 1 hooks on flappers.
Ive also seen a number of mentions for cockle and fish strips catching dabs this February.
Am I missing out here ? Again lots to learn now I’ve started fishing from the beach more regually again.I also still struggle to see the difference between dab and flounder so if anyone spots me misidentifying them please let me know !
I know they are only small fish but still well worth fishing for with a chance of one or two for the table.

I know they are only small fish but still well worth fishing for with a chance of one or two for the table.Lets hope they stick around for the championship !
:) Was it so good you had to duplicate everything?;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quick identification for Dab vs Flounder, look at the lateral line down the middle of the fish, Dabs have a big curve near the head kinda like a D for Dab as below
dab.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,026 Posts

just hold em up to the light, day or torch.
dabs will be almost transparent, and flounders not

1 - 11 of 11 Posts