World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i've mentioned on a few threads i've been spinning on my local rivers for years but have now turned towards the sea, and i'm enjoying it immensly! I'm just wondering if i've made a few mistakes with my gear choice. I wasnt prepared to buy expensive stuff so i bought a shakespear odessa for 25 quid which seems to do the job but it came with it's own line which i intend to replace pretty soon. i was borrowing a rod for my first few sessions but now i've gone out and bought a 12ft fladen power stick. at the moment im still fishing off a few harbours and piers but i want to move onto beach casting where i'll need to be casting at a further distance. what ive read over the internet it seems the fladen rod is getting a roasting!!! does anyone have any suggestions? im all ears!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...oh and i bought some jelly worms. i know how to hook them but should they be on a rig or should i use them spinning?

·
Registered
423 Posts
hi
the way i hook my worms is poke the hook though the head and slide it up the hook about 1 or 2 inches, it all depends on what size worms and how far you cast.
when spinning have you been casting out then reeling in straight away or cast out leave it for a while then reel out?
i suppose it all depends on how you what to do it!!
good luck.
beefcake

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah i dont think you quite got me then. i meant how are the jelly worms meant to be used? presented as i'd a lug or rag worm or used as a lure

B

·
0 Posts
If you're happy with the Fladen rod then that's all that matters,I would have chosen one of the Shakespeare range they are great value for money.
As for using jelly worms as a substitute for live worm (lug/rag) all I can say is NO!Jellies are for use on a boat - if you want to use them from the shore you would have to use them as a spinnerbait with a lead head.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks i'll take all that on board, but wht about the distance casting? am i going to need a multiplier and a different rod?

B

·
0 Posts
I would concentrate on learning how to catch fish with the gear you've got before worrying about 'upgrading' ! Depending on where you are fishing there are plenty of species you can catch within your casting range.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Martin,

It all depends on where you are fishing from. Distance casting is not the "B" all and end all.

By hook or by crook you have to find out where the fish are feeding and cast into that area.

You are quite right in saying that the Fladden rods have had a bad press.

The reel all depends on what you are happiest with, I prefer a multiplier because it is small and light to use compared with the FS's which tend to be more bulky. A reasonable caster could cast the same distance with either.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
686 Posts
Not trying to be smart - but it depends where the fish are :)

I know anglers who can cast to France - though they sometimes cast OVER the fish.

If its a very shallow featurless beach with no flatfish or bass then being able to cast a clipped down worm bait 120yrds may get you amongst the fish when everyone else is struggling.

A lot of fish patrol the areas where the surf starts to kick up the sand churning up foodstuff - sometimes known as the 'third breaker' - good for bass, flounder, turbot etc.

If your happy with the rod setup you have then keep using it until you can't improve on distance or you find it unsuitable for the area your fishing.

=======

Oopps..... Drew got in before me ;)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Sellbound,

It happens to me all the time, I am a slowcoach when it comes to typing, or should I say just slow!!! I think it is my age.

By the time I had written a reply to a thread the other day it had been deleted and I was left high and dry.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the advice guys. it's good to know i can come here and not be ridiculed for being a novice. much appreciated happy fishing,

also i'll be down prothcawl pier friday morning if anyone's interested (fishing that is)

V

·
0 Posts
i have to agree with drew on the fish front,but the best advice i can give to anyone buying tackle is to read up on the particular sport your taking part in,gain the knowledge needed,and then approach a tackle dealer with a good reputation and staff who partake in the same zone-i.e. don't ask a carp fisherman which beach rod to use,study all rod & reel deals with care,most save you a couple of quid and are really in place to catch the eye of beginners and shift shite tackle they would be otherwise be stuck with,try to buy a well known brand and the best you can afford at the time,either a rod or reel or both,tackle is a bit like serious hi-fi,start at the bottom and upgrade one bit at a time! until you are happy with what u have,but having all the best gear don't mean the best or the most fish,that i'm affraid as u know comes from experience and listening to those with the most.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts