World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Hawaii - 952lb Thresher Shark

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  skipperboy 
#1 ·
Just picked up reference to this thread - http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f146/952-lb-thresher-shark-kona-hi-19504.html - on another forum that may interest some of you. Leaving aside all of the 'Stateside 'ooh-ing and arr-ing' there's a report and some pictures of a huge Thresher caught whilst the crew had been targeting Swordfish at night.

It's certainly the biggest I've heard of and, providing it hadn't been played by several anglers, would have broken the existing world record by a considerable margin. And it was taken on stand-up gear.

Just one last thing. Yes Marlin is the skipper's given name! It's going back over 20 years now but I got to fish, on separate boats, with Marlin, his dad George (who caught the first 1000lb plus Marlin from Hawaiian waters) and younger brother Randy.
Dave

#4 ·
One serious lump of a fish there Dave, thanks for posting, wonder if Ted / Denis could find some like that darn sarf :)
Hi Stan
Many, many moons ago I recall Ted (Ted Legg for those of you who don't perhaps know who we're talking about. Used to be a charter skipper operating out of Gosport.) had a client who was obsessed with BIG Threshers. He bought himself a 'Stateside fighting chair and used to fish with 130lb class rods and matching FinNor reels.

I think it was on two occasions fishing out past the Nab Tower that they hooked fish that they made no impression on at all. Fish that eventually escaped. Ted, being Ted, didn't see them and was never prepared to venture a guess as to what they were. But speculating I guess they had to be either Broadbill, Bluefin Tuna or ........... big Threshers.

Now I recall seeing a picture (with Ric Cotterell alongside it) of a huge Thresher on the fish dock at Brixham. It was caught in a mid water Sprat trawl. Ric said it was, including the tail, over 19' foot long and weighed over 600lbs.

And I know when this topic has come up in other threads some others have also mentioned sightings or reports of other BIG Threshers. So they certainly existing in our waters
darn sarf
. (Love the accent Stan. We'll have you talking proper one of these days!) As to Denis' attempts for them he seems to be focussing his mind on a trip 'way down in the deep south' - the Western Approaches - (Shouldn't that be in a Geordie accent, a la Eric Burden (the Animals)? Or am I just showing my age?) for other things.

Just a final point about the apparent disparity in weights. Whilst ours are 'conventional' Threshers - Alopias vulpinus - that heavy set Hawaiian fish is a Big Eyed Thresher - Alopias profundus.

All the Best
Dave

#5 ·
and then now without the rude language so that my post doesn't get removed:kissing: .

It WAS indeed a very nice shark. unfortunately I will not be able to give it a try because it had to die to have the picture taken...

:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: .

I was suggested by the international moderator that started this thread and removed my offensive reply to start a blog about this. I think I will. So anyone that wants to have a rant about killing for the alpha males ego. CU there (I'll post the link shortly)

Jan

#6 ·
and then now without the rude language so that my post doesn't get removed:kissing: .

It WAS indeed a very nice shark. unfortunately I will not be able to give it a try because it had to die to have the picture taken...

:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: .

I was suggested by the international moderator that started this thread and removed my offensive reply to start a blog about this. I think I will. So anyone that wants to have a rant about killing for the alpha males ego. CU there (I'll post the link shortly)

Jan
Firstly, with respect, Jan adopting an approach as you outline

So anyone that wants to have a rant about killing for the alpha males ego. CU there
really doesn’t to my mind bode well. And surely doesn’t this illustrate the very simplistic lack of respect for others opinions and views that Mike alluded to when the Conservation and Political forums were removed?

So please, a request, think very carefully about the points you may wish to raise and the way in which you raise them. I accept they, and the replies you subsequently get, may be contentious but bear in mind the forum rules that govern us all and be respectful of others even though they may disagree with your point of view.

Also Jan it appears that your wording

because it had to die to have the picture taken...
is used to be deliberately contentious. Didn’t the gentlemen on the other forum quite succinctly explain why the fish was taken in? The view was that it was unlikely to survive. Now whether that would have influenced their decision if the fish had come in fresh I don’t know.

But every time all of us hook a fish there is the inherent risk that we could end up damaging it.
Dave

#8 ·
Skipperboy, I also find it sad that the fish died / was killed but as Dave has pointed out, if you read the thread on the thresher forum you will see that the anglers thought it unlikely to survive and that they had released other fish in the past month so not sure if it was just for photographs. If it was then that is their business, certainly not mine.

Quote:

" We elected to take the Thresher because it was in bad shape and didn't look
like it would make it. We were estimating it at 650 based on the other fish
we had released over the last month. "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.