World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice new fishing rod from Lidls ( :thumbs:) and need some general advice for fishing in Hayle Harbour/estuary.
When I was younger I did a lot of fly fishing but this is a different 'kettle of fish' altogether!

Heard it's possible to catch bass on the tide so any advice on which bait to use, and which method (float?) would be great for this sea fishing novice :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tried a few poppers and lures last night at dusk but not a look in. Plenty of young stuff jumping. Maybe try live eel or lug might get results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried a few poppers and lures last night at dusk but not a look in. Plenty of young stuff jumping. Maybe try live eel or lug might get results.
I tried with some lures today, and caught loads of seaweed off the wier...

What are 'poppers'? I thought that's what the PZ kids sniff to get high??

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ha, Ha, Poppers are lures that skitter over the surface of the water splashing and imatating a injured fish. With a bit of luck tempting a hungrey Bass! Or try on the left as you walk over the weir.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Last year I had some decent bass to 5lbs on streamer flies and muddlers. Then the harbourmaster came and told me the whole area was a no-fising zone. So I'm wondering where fishing is allowed?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
for bass i would suggest walking right down to the end of the spit or fish the beach at opening of estury near the sea! fish it on the flood with sandeel or red gill....mind you i'm the bream queen and not that lucky with the bass!!! but that would be my suggestion have fun....were you the one with a popper last night by the crab pots in a fawny coloured top?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Last year I had some decent bass to 5lbs on streamer flies and muddlers. Then the harbourmaster came and told me the whole area was a no-fising zone. So I'm wondering where fishing is allowed?
I have a map of the fishing areas ask to see next time you visit

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
poppy ****! lol i have fished Hayle for over 20 years! there are certain areas (like in front of crab pots and parts of carnsew pool) but NOT ONCE have i ever been told fishing is not allowed (except 1 incident a couple of years ago, when a police man tried to tell me that i couldnt fish...he was soon put in his place!!!!) :rtfm::rtfm:

basically avoid top end of carnsew pool..(causeway) and supposedly by the landing area (crab pots)... be aware and courteous to fishing boats and other boats etc and i'm sure you will be ok!!!!:wiggle:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Had no idea there were no fishing zones at hayle harbour.fished it often over the years and never been asked to stop fishing or move.had some nice bass,around 4lb mark down river.found whole squid did the trick,first two hrs of the flood best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.