World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
yeah dont bother, its not worth the hassel, get yourself to gosport smoothounds from all beaches, use peeler crab fresh or frozen. i had 4 at the weekend to 4.5lb:) goodluck

·
Registered
340 Posts
I live at Groyne 25 on Hayling (well almost!).
I wish I could make a sensible suggestion, but all my last 10 sessions have been Eastney, Pagham and South Parade Pier and I've caught good fish at each venue.

Although I've managed the odd bass to over 13lbs, cod to 18lbs and plaice to 4-4-0 from 'my groyne', I can't recommend it. The seabed has been scraped clean by trawlers and there are no longer any fish-holding features from around Groyne 8 to The Gulley at the entrance to Langstone.

It's a virtual desert out here!

The only places where fish regularly patrol are the harbour mouths and just inside. There are bass and smoothies to be taken there by those in the know. By that I mean that there are certain times of the tides when you might get a productive 2 hr stint in. Then tidal strength, weed and fish movements mean you'd need to move elswhere.

It's no good fishing limpet for bass at IOTB unless we've had a vigorous S-SWly and there is limpet on the beach. Bottom fishing with worm is not only unproductive at present, but spider crabs usually mean you are bait and hookless within minutes. The there's the May bloom of clingy red and green slimy stuff!

Now this ain't good is it?

It's a commentary on the destructive nature of inshore fishing, not just in terms of fish caught and discards; but more importantly the total destruction of a bay which used to be an ecosystem comprising kelp beds, mussel colonies and associated food chain items like shrimps, crabs and a nursery for small fish.

Now there's 'koof all' and I have to find venues like Pagham entrance and South Parade Pier where environmental destruction has been prevented by local byelaws and inaccessibility to netsmen and trawls.

Stay at home until 2027!

:thumbdown

we has it really got that bad since last year!. thats very dissapointing to here because for some reason i love fishing hayling even though i never do amazing but i have normally caught and had a few good bass last year there but most of all i like the fact u never know whats going to turn up i mean last year i had a baby stingray and even heard from paiges there was a small run of tope at the end of aug last year.

to leeroy i would suggest fishing chichester entrance for bass maybe at low tide
with whole squid this has worked for me before but i haven't been recently so i can't give you any up to date info but it sounds as if a differant venue will prove more productive at the mo.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts