World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all im looking too change my headlight for something more powerfull,im usung a small led light at the moment and its great for lasting for a very long time but its not mega bright for seeing a long way at night,anyone know what too reccomend or does anyone on the site have one they are selling .thanks.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had a fox halo ht85 which was decent enough but recently got a tiga which gives a far better spread of light, bought it used and battery aint to great so gonae have to source a replacement :thumbs:
BTW you`ll probably find this will get moved to tackle and equipment disscussions:blink:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Try using the search facility, this question comes up every winter and there are no right answers. Everybody has their own personal preferences and budgets. Just type headlight into the search bar and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I've got a Tiga - and it's great, but I'd pay a wee bit more next time and get the lightweight battery. There always seems to be a few samalites for sale from time to time?

Loads of guys rave about the Princeton Apex headlight. If you enter that into the "search" box Tommy, you'll find plenty about them.

I think it's maybe getting to the same stage as many things - there are probably very few crap ones around now if you pay decent money?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The Petzl zoom (halogen bulb, and Duracell batteries) cost about £20 has satisfied all my night fishing over the last 30 years. Bought my second one as a replacement last year. No need for excessive illumination when night fishing, but always carry a small secondary means of illumination (small torch) ready to hand in case of sudden failure, especially when climbing a steep rock or on jagged rocks.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi all thanks for the replys. ive since read up a wee bit on the fenix hp11 and it does seem to be a very good light for the money ,around 50 quid..

·
Registered
225 Posts
PM sent mate.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Got the HP11 the other day and it looks the bizz, only when am out and about will it tell me if a can let ms tiga go, or use it as a backup.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
as didnt fish last winter i found the bedroom light was excellent for reading the reports of those that did venture out..

·
Registered
383 Posts
The Petzl zoom (halogen bulb, and Duracell batteries) cost about £20 has satisfied all my night fishing over the last 30 years. Bought my second one as a replacement last year. No need for excessive illumination when night fishing, but always carry a small secondary means of illumination (small torch) ready to hand in case of sudden failure, especially when climbing a steep rock or on jagged rocks.
Big fan of the Petzl zoom myself. I just purchased the upgraded LED below for mine. Pure white light output, excellent.

Well worth the £15

TTS-1WP

Premium quality LED upgrade suitable for Petzl Headtorches

The TTS-1WP is a premium quality universal 1 Watt LED upgrade designed for maximum light output built to our specification. This LED upgrade is the brightest available 1 Watt universal replacement for the standard bulb, to fit a variety of torches, that we know of being produced anywhere in Europe. Available in both screw type MES (E10) and standard flange type bases. The screw base fits Petzl head torches whilst the flange base is ideally suited for most torches. Both types available but this listing is specifically for the screw base upgrade.

The TTS-1WP features :-

• 100 Lumens of typical light output - LED brightness is vastly higher than the equivalent incandescent bulb in the same power headlamp
• 1 Watt Philips Luxeon Rebel LED typically producing 100 [email protected]
• Available in common / standard flange base or screw base.
• Operates on wide voltage range 3.5 - 9V DC
• Consistent brightness and colour regardless of battery condition
• Electronic regulation for rock steady light output
• Never burns out - an incredible 50,000 hour life expectancy
• Environment, energy saving friendly and shock-resistant
• Expect a significant increase in run time from your batteries, approximately 9 hours from a set of three AA Ni-MH 2500 mAh cells
• Soon pays for itself and no more bulbs to replace
• Produces pure white light

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Got the HP11 the other day and it looks the bizz, only when am out and about will it tell me if a can let ms tiga go, or use it as a backup.
looks like a great replacement for the tiga which is great for nightime bait collecting but cumbersome,heavy battery,expensive bulbs and not great quality for the money,the hp11 at around £50-60 is much better value,270 lumens is awesome,i'm using the petzl myo rxp much the same price as the hp11 but only 140 lumens which is more than enough for fishing and rockhopping,it's very light and economical on batteries,great quality bit of kit,cheers,bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Big fan of the Petzl zoom myself. I just purchased the upgraded LED below for mine. Pure white light output, excellent.

Well worth the £15
How does this 'upgrade' effect the zoom feature of the petzl ?

I though that LEDs were much more directional than incandescent bulbs, so LED torches need a different design to the 'bulb' housing in order to give a wider illumination. e.g. some sort of plastic lense to spread the light.

Do you still get as wide a spread of light as you did with an incandescent bulb ?

cheers

Col

·
Registered
881 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Bough cheap Lumena Headlum 10 telescopic headligh as backup from ebay.So delighted that using it full time now.Bright as welding arch,you can zoom out to see 100 metres away and quite good with batteries.
Kept myself amused watching my crab creel through 10 feet of water waiting for someone to climb in.
I am tight basteward,mind.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have used various head lights including the Petzl Tikka plus and two years ago bought the Petzl mayo RXP and cannot fault it. On ebay they sell for anything between £50 and £60-70 quid. Go Outdoors is selling them just now for £48 quid if you have a member or someone elses members card for £48 quid. I thought that by buying some of the cheaper Petzl models they would do the jobs but i have been left with broken or head torches that just dont do the job in the dark...The RXP is the biz and has a zoom button and flip up sheild for wide illumination....

·
Registered
383 Posts
How does this 'upgrade' effect the zoom feature of the petzl ?

I though that LEDs were much more directional than incandescent bulbs, so LED torches need a different design to the 'bulb' housing in order to give a wider illumination. e.g. some sort of plastic lense to spread the light.

Do you still get as wide a spread of light as you did with an incandescent bulb ?

cheers

Col
It's more directional, but i feel you still obtain a good enough spread with the bulb. Cheers

1 - 20 of 39 Posts