World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt this has been asked hundreds of times but at present what are peoples recommendations for a decent lightweight rechargeable headlamp that will last a session and will stand the test of time? Budget £100-200

·
Registered
200 Posts
I’m using the fenix hp65r shdowmaster ( I think that’s it- has a red light for 2nd beam) uses the rechargeable battery but bigger than a AA
I carry a spare in the tackle box but have never needed it- I don’t use it on full blast n I get 6 hours easy

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Try a Lupine Neo. Unlike Fenix et al it’s made in Germany rather than China. Quality aluminium body that you could probably drive over without doing any damage. 1000 lumens, which is more than enough, and will run more than long enough at 50% of that, which is more than enough for fishing.

Top end of budget, but quality does cost a little. No need to look at a Betty or any of the other insane lights they do aimed at downhill mountain biking in pitch darkness!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would go led lenser with regular batteries. Unless you are a torch-a-holic and dont mind checking battery voltages and maintenance charging lithium rechargeables.

I am a bit of a torch-o-holic so i have quite a few fenix, nitecore, olight lithium ion rechargeables and two old led lensers with aa and aaa batteries. For reliability the only brands that havent had the electronics fail in first year are olights and led lensers. Olights 5yrs old and lensers are about 10yrs old. The lithium batteries last a year or a bit more with a lot of use or shorter with little use (they need to be stored at correct goldiloks state of charge). The disposable aa and aaa are fool proof.

2 x 1.5v = 3v vs 3.7v lithium so not as bright but 3 x 1.5v is fine just less duration compared to one charge on lithium. Voltage not an issue for close wide angle work but may be an issue for long range spot. Also replacing lithium batteries is a crap shoot so many fakes out there and the issue is fire hazard when charging.

For aa and aaa i buy the disposable lithium ones because they dont leak, last longer, and work better in cold weather.

My ledlensers have variable focus (wide /spot) and variable power output through the single head. Others have two seperate led bulbs one wide and one spot and can vary power to each but note what i said about electronics.

Note: i habe not used any for fishing, only for camping and hiking.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I normally use a fenix head lamp , never had any issues with fenix. I do like a lot of light having poor eye sight so this is where you have to be careful when choosing which one you buy for battery life and brightness. There,s no point any getting a headlight on maximum brightness if it only lasts one hour . I go on the torch direct web page that gives you the run times and lumens of each head light. I,m just trying a led lenser 15 core at the moment with a constant lumen of 1000 with out dropping the lumen down , it gives me 4 hours light. Its all so a good idea to take spare batteries with you and another back up head light. Its not much fun being in the middle of no where with out a light in fact it could be lethal to you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ive got the fenix hp30r battery pack and wire maby a deal braker for you but i find it fine i have 2 spair batterys incase i use them up the flood beam is really good spot beam idel for landing fish off rocks mostly use flood tho

1 - 9 of 9 Posts