World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I need a new headlamp, but do not know what is best to buy. There are some crazy prices around - so I would rather get some good advice before I part with my cash.

What do some of you guys use - what are the good and bad points etc.

Appreciate any help received.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure of the price range. I would prefer to get a great lamp for a little as possible. If I have to pay more to get the lamp I need, then so be it and I will just wait a bit longer till I can get it.

I see some lamp kits for £50 which come with everything you need, and one that costs £279.

What I am looking for is the advice from folks who can tell me if I should avoid the £50 because they are crap - or to avoid the £279 one because they are a waste of money.

I am sure there is a middle ground between these two extremes that has what I need. What I actually need is a lamp to get me safely across rocks to get to the mark. Fish for say up to 10 hours max, and then get me safely back over the rocks to the car at the end of it all. The lamp would need to be bright enough so that I could see down to the water to (hopefully) help steer fish in. (I could possibly be perched 40ft up a rock face)

As nearly all the fishing I do is rock fishing, climbing up and down rocks means carrying a Tilley type lamp is not practicable, and therefore a head lamp is the only lamp used.

It does not have to be able to light up for hundreds of yards, but I must admit the LED lamp I have at the moment is only usefull for close up work as the beam does not go far.

I was thinking something along the lines of a halogen for distance also with a LED for close up work, rechargeable battery, waterproof, and I would probably take a spare battery just in case. I would rather though get the opinions of some people that already use such lamps to find out if I should be looking at something else.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Steve

If it's rock fishing then without hesitation I would suggest you spend as much as you can afford (even though they are extortionately priced)

I have had a Tiga for a few years and find it excellent for fishing rocks at night (something I wouldn't do on safety grounds before I bought it). It also makes digging lug a doddle in the dark as well. Despite the price it still goes down as one of my best angling purchases.

However, since I parted with my cash Samalite have bought out a range of headlamps, and I do think their top of the range model is better than the Tiga simply because the battery is less than half the weight.

The light output from both lamps (even on the low setting) is amazing, and the output on the high setting can be a hazzard to shipping and low flying aircraft :)

I still carry a LED headlamp as a backup to get me off the rocks if the other one fails (this also gets my vote when I fish beaches/breakwaters).

You will not get 10 hours out of either the Tiga or Samalite though. I reckon on 5 hours max with my Tiga, the Samalite (expensive model) will last longer. To get around this I tend to walk to/from the marks using the LED lamp and then switch the my Tiga when I start to climb down the rocks.

Summary - Spend as much as you can on a Samalite (spot beam not the square one). Quality product and half the weight of the Tiga battery (the recharge process is better as well)

Hope this helps

Terry

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
281 Posts
i bought my latest headlamp on ebay and i have to admit its the best i have ever bought. it cost me 8 pound with delivery ( airmail from hong kong) 10 LED's and cheap as chips. have spent £40-50 on lamps before now, but this is the best for me by far. Battery power last a lifetime, used it at least 20 times on trips and still haven't changed the 2 AAA batteries inside

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too bought a LED from Ebay (8 LEDs) and it is very good for the close up work. However, it does not manage to do all I need, so I will get another, but will definately keep the old one for emergencies etc.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
We bought a pair of the MFA rechargeables (£59.99) a little while back. Seem fine to date and brighter than the standard Petzl, with LED option. Might be ok for you if you don't want to go over the £100 barrier.

Rhod.

M

·
0 Posts
I too have the MFA lamp. I have been using it for nearly 2 years without any trouble whatsoever. The price is brilliant and it is a decent performer. The leds are fine for all your close up work and rod tip watching. The main light will pick a fish out in the surf easily.
cheers Karl

·
Registered
182 Posts
lewisteh,

I have a smalite H100W8 and I love it, but I wish it had been a little cheaper! It does last 8hrs on the std low 6w bulb, but I have put in a 5w bulb, dont really notice the drop in output and it goes 10hrs. Also, I always carry another small LED as well, like an MFA clip-on, so when I am just watching the rod tips I usually switch off the samalite and just use the LED. That way you can easily get 12hrs+ and still have a big light to get you off the rocks.

The wide beam does a great job of lighting up the base camp but it does not project a beam very far, you will struggle to pick out a fish in the surf 40ft below, a 20ft drop is fine though. I'm currently saving up to get a flood beam as well for when I need it!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I bought a "Durastar" 8 LED headlamp off e-bay for about £10, the LEDs are guaranteed for LIFE, & they reckon that on 2 LEDs you get 500hrs battery life.
It takes 3 AAAs in a very neat insert, & you dont know you have it on your head!
2 LEDs are ample for baiting up, 4 gives sufficient light to untangle any birds-nest, 8 gives plenty of light for up to 10 yds, what more could you want for a tenner?
I have used it on 8 night trips so far, & there is no sign of the batterries going down, & they are only the 20 for a 1£ at the local market! 3 Duracells would probably last longer than I will!
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I was so pleased with my Durastar I decided to buy one for my mate (who has cast his beady eye over it)! Went on to e-bay & bought a 12 LED LAMP COMPLETE WITH BATTERIES FOR 15P!!!!! from Hong Kong, total cost inc p&p £6.14p, you cant buy a box of matches for that nowadays, I dont care if I have to buy one every season for 15p!
blueskip

·
Registered
568 Posts
I also ordered one of the 12 LED lamps from Ebay for an auction price of 1p plus £5.99 p+p.

Trouble is, after 6 weeks it still hasn't arrived :(

Looking at their feedback it seems that I am not alone with this problem, but they do seem to have lots of satisfied customers. Sounds like the lamp is great value from what I hear from other people who have managed to buy one. Hope mine turns up soon.

·
Registered
370 Posts
a few days ago i purchsed a headlamp for fishing from ebay for 6p yes 6p, as soon as i go home i will test it out and report back to you.
For 6p you cant go wrong
it has got 12 LED super bright white lights, it does sound really good.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I understand your concern at the 6 week delay, I have set myself for a long delay as well!
You can bet your life that at the pennies they are charging, they are getting then assembled in sweat shops in Thailand or Indonesia, as far as I am concerned if it doesn't arrive at all, I will consider it just another contribution to some poor bugger who was making me a headlamp for 15p!
blueskip

·
Registered
370 Posts
Manx Fisher said:
I also ordered one of the 12 LED lamps from Ebay for an auction price of 1p plus £5.99 p+p.

Trouble is, after 6 weeks it still hasn't arrived :(

Looking at their feedback it seems that I am not alone with this problem, but they do seem to have lots of satisfied customers. Sounds like the lamp is great value from what I hear from other people who have managed to buy one. Hope mine turns up soon.

hi, yes i have got one of those headlamps, i got mine for 6p, it arrived 6 days later, i was worried also but mine did turn up.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
ive got an oldham miners lamp ,true the battery is heavy but a titan harness carries it well.the reliability is superb ,up to 15 hours on main beam,thought about a tiga but my mates 4 hour than flat soon changed my mind,good for digging bait though.
when i go on the rocks i want something thats going to last and not let me down and ive got complete faith in it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
blueskip said:
I understand your concern at the 6 week delay, I have set myself for a long delay as well!
You can bet your life that at the pennies they are charging, they are getting then assembled in sweat shops in Thailand or Indonesia, as far as I am concerned if it doesn't arrive at all, I will consider it just another contribution to some poor bugger who was making me a headlamp for 15p!
blueskip

Mine has still not turned up :( but after making a right pain of myself they now claim to have sent another one - at this rate I may yet end up with 2 :)

I'm not bothered about losing £6, but I very much doubt if the money went to the person who made it. Middle men have a lot to answer for.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hurrah, arrived at last and I have to say, for £6 it is outstanding !!! Fantastic light output for a LED. It is so small that it will always be packed in my tackle bag/box as a backup. Time will tell how it actually performs 'in the field' but first impressions are 'everyone should have one'

1 - 19 of 19 Posts