World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a look at the new Black Rock range of Akita Pro Lure rods, unbelievable bits of kit for the money. The longest, the 12-42 gram 9ft mh is only 50 quid rrp !

I know many on here are using more costly rods, but as a spare for occasional fishing mates or back up car rod you won't go wrong with one of these. Anyone looking to give lure fishing a go and not sure about laying out a pile of cash until they know if it's for them need look no further. I will be getting the 8ft 6 primarily as a weedless soft plastic rod and at the price will probably get the longer one as well.

Initial feel says they have a more sensitive tip than the Nebula i currently use and a bit more poke down the butt but i won't know for sure until i fish with one. Will post up as soon as i do. These might just be the best value for money rod ever made across all disciplines ,they really do look/feel that good.

I have a Black Rock Columbia GT 7-28 gram that is again a good rod for the budget end of the sector but these are levels above that rod.

I have no link to the company or anyone that works for them, just a mate with a tackle shop that i happened to be in today. He had just received one of each of the range.

It might just be me that thinks they are as good as i do, but i would urge anyone in a shop that stocks them to go and have a play even if not in the market for a rod just to see what you think. I really can't believe the pricing on these. Only downside is 7-35g is only 8ft 6 and the lighter one 8ft.
SD

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I have the black rock hell boy and wasn't clever enough to buy another couple when they were still available. Great rod for under £50

Reactions: self determination

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Just had a look at the new Black Rock range of Akita Pro Lure rods, unbelievable bits of kit for the money. The longest, the 12-42 gram 9ft mh is only 50 quid rrp !

I know many on here are using more costly rods, but as a spare for occasional fishing mates or back up car rod you won't go wrong with one of these. Anyone looking to give lure fishing a go and not sure about laying out a pile of cash until they know if it's for them need look no further. I will be getting the 8ft 6 primarily as a weedless soft plastic rod and at the price will probably get the longer one as well.

Initial feel says they have a more sensitive tip than the Nebula i currently use and a bit more poke down the butt but i won't know for sure until i fish with one. Will post up as soon as i do. These might just be the best value for money rod ever made across all disciplines ,they really do look/feel that good.

I have a Black Rock Columbia GT 7-28 gram that is again a good rod for the budget end of the sector but these are levels above that rod.

I have no link to the company or anyone that works for them, just a mate with a tackle shop that i happened to be in today. He had just received one of each of the range.

It might just be me that thinks they are as good as i do, but i would urge anyone in a shop that stocks them to go and have a play even if not in the market for a rod just to see what you think. I really can't believe the pricing on these. Only downside is 7-35g is only 8ft 6 and the lighter one 8ft.
SD
I have a Blackrock 12lb class boat rod. Nice blank let down by a clumsy reel fitting and inferior lined rings. I know a Nebula is much more expensive, but I do like the Fuji reel seat and Fuji K guides. PH

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I've seen a few of the black rock rod's and always have to do a double take..they do look good. I have to say though that Shimano's Seabass vengeance range is incredibly good value at around £30. I have a seabass vengeance estuary rod, that at 11ft 6 is really light and is great for throwing big lures, think I paid £70 for it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't spend much time in tackle shops these days, so won't see as many rods as others that do. Maybe it would be a good idea to set up a budget rod/reel thread where everyone could post stuff they happen to see that looks good value for money. It would be a good reference for those that seem to pop in here looking for kit to start out with from time to time.

I understand people like having the top range stuff but high priced gear is not an option for everyone, kids in particular. As someone that fishes multi disciplines i would never spend big money on a lure rod considering the tech and amount of material that go into some beach rods at half the price of a high end lure rod.I just couldn't justify it as i fish on a tight budget myself.

I had a further look and there is a wider range than i first thought as well, there is a 9ft 7-35 gram to go with the heavier one. Anyone want to buy two Nebula 😄
SD

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
one thing that often get overlooked when it comes to budget stuff is the rings , my original nebulas are still perfect wheras the luregames corroded after a season even with ocd cleaning regime .
i would seriously look at a rod with sound fittings or a budget rod becomes a bin job and therefore not so budget

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Sometimes you pick up a blinder of a blank though and it's worth replacing rings on those

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
one thing that often get overlooked when it comes to budget stuff is the rings , my original nebulas are still perfect wheras the luregames corroded after a season even with ocd cleaning regime .
i would seriously look at a rod with sound fittings or a budget rod becomes a bin job and therefore not so budget
Totally agree with this. Rod makers must be able to buy quality rings in bulk relatively economically, but too often go for very cheap copies which look the part but are not up to the job. Frames corrode, liners crack and cut your braid.....I have great faith in Fuji products and have rods decades old where the Fuji fittings are still perfect. Yes you can replace dud rings if you like the blank but I'd rather pay a bit more and buy something that's going to last because it had quality fittings in the first place. PH

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Sometimes you pick up a blinder of a blank though and it's worth replacing rings on those
y , can do , i rebuild stuff , but..... mate of mine had a lure and bait that had the same issue rings corroded , you can normally tell tbh , dull matt silvery finish that end up having a brass underfinish ( if thats a word ??),
pukker blank and asked me to rebuild for him , the epoxy on this thing was nothing short of glass , REALLY bloody hard , and stripping it was a nightmare ,
anyhoo managed fine and had one last pull over with fine wire wool , BLAM , 6 inch of tip in my hand !!!:cry::cry::cry::eek::eek::eek:.
so ended up giving him the bucks to get a new one .
been rebuilding for 40 years now and first time this has happened , believe me , rebuilds on lure rods is akin to brain surgery due to the rediculous wall thickness ,thankfuly the kit was returnable to a fine company AKA guides and blanks

Reactions: self determination

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'd rather pay 300 for a nice rod blank, quality titanium rings and enjoy it season after season... why settle?
I mean not everyone can spend that, but I think 50 rod will have to be treated as a disposable....the rings will be rubbish and not liking the salt water at all.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Does a more expensive rod catch more bass
If the hto lure game was still made I'd buy it straight away
Does a budget TV give you less information than a nice 4K ultra HD tv? Or can an E class get you to work quicker than a rusty Mondeo? It's all relative... It's not all about how many bass you are catching

It's my main hobby and I enjoy the whole experience

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
You dont have to buy really expensive rods to get quality fittings. I have An all singing dance'ing Century. But have also just bought a few rods that are also fully fitted out with fuji fittings at a third of the price.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does a budget TV give you less information than a nice 4K ultra HD tv? Or can an E class get you to work quicker than a rusty Mondeo? It's all relative... It's not all about how many bass you are catching

It's my main hobby and I enjoy the whole experience
That's actually a good comparison to make. I would enjoy thrashing the old Mondeo down a country road more than the E Class .The reason being if it ends up in a hedge or wall i wouldn't care and when it comes to motoring i enjoy the actual driving/riding experience more than the equipment i am using at the time.

I totally get those that are into the ownership experience of high quality products ,an E class is definitely a far nicer place to be than a Mondeo. Over the years fishing has been a lot more than a hobby to me at certain points,but even then i never saw fishing gear as anything more than tools to do the thing i actually enjoy. My youngest daughter and her friend wear training shoes that cost over 600 quid but the soles are too thick to wear to the gym ( i don't think it's just the soles that are thick ! ) and while i would never pay that for shoes (that's car money to me these days) i understand they are into the fashion side of clothing and enjoy the wearing and buying side of it. I am happy to let my wife buy my trainers :)

Also i am really hashy with my gear, i've taken a few falls the last couple of years with the Nebula rods and they have held up remarkably well, not even a cracked eye (i can only assume the odd rumour of them snapping was put about with an ulterior motive) including one chucked from about 20 feet up onto boulders as i slipped down a rock face this year. Had that been a 600 quid rod i would probably have spent too long thinking about what to do and done myself some proper damage.

As i say i totally understand people wanting the best possible quality gear for what they are doing but there are plenty out there that either can't afford it or are only interested in the actual fishing and see the gear as a means to an end.
SD

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd rather pay 300 for a nice rod blank, quality titanium rings and enjoy it season after season... why settle?
I mean not everyone can spend that, but I think 50 rod will have to be treated as a disposable....the rings will be rubbish and not liking the salt water at all.
I've just looked at the rings on their Columbia GT that i got about 4 years ago. No corrosion i can see. I haven't used it as much due to preferring other rods but i also haven't ever wiped it down.
My intention with the rods i used (especially the Nebula as the eyes are so small) is to re ring when required with single leg minima 4 so i no longer have to worry about bust eyes when away on 3 day trips.
SD

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Also i am really hashy with my gear, i've taken a few falls the last couple of years with the Nebula rods and they have held up remarkably well, not even a cracked eye (i can only assume the odd rumour of them snapping was put about with an ulterior motive) including one chucked from about 20 feet up onto boulders as i slipped down a rock face this year. Had that been a 600 quid rod i would probably have spent too long thinking about what to do and done myself some proper damage.
I snapped my 7 to 35g 9ft nebula on its first cast, the first 30cm of the tip came right off. tackleuk replaced the whole rod without issue, despite me only asking for a tip, great service from them.
I was able to keep the broken rod and I repaired it so now I have a pair of them. Albeit one has a repair and slight stiff section.
I certainly didn't post about my breakage as it was resolved by manufacturer and the vendor, so no ulterior motive, but they do snap it seems. The replacement has been fine btw.
IMG_20200914_231938.jpg

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
At those prices you could get decent eyes put on them
Looking forward to Self Determination's report
Might buy the 8ft model for kayak use

1 - 18 of 18 Posts