World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who like me travel to far off places for your fishing Like me find it harder and harder to take your rods with you due to travel restrictions by the airlines for example BA max length 75"
Most popping or jigging rod are 2 piece with a short butt section and a long front section .
By the time you put into a rod tube it is well over the max length BA will allow for sporting goods in the hold.
I searched for a long time to find a four piece popping or jigging rod.
I came across a company called Hearty Rise rods made in Japan .
Now don't write HR off because you have never heard of them nor had I but 40 years ago who had heard of shimano.
I went ahead and bought their 4 piece Monster Game rod 100-200 gm it has a shut down length of 71 cm so fits nicely into my rolling duffel along with my 4 piece fly rods I was surprise at how far it would throw a 120gm popper. What does it fish like I don't know as it hasn't seen any action yet hopefully it will in September.
HR have now bought out a new 4 piece rod popping rod called Skywalker along with their jigging rods. to see their jigging rods in action they produced some videos.
I have nothing to do with HR just found a series of rods that I can now carry without the airline saying it's to long you will have to send it Cargo so I thought I would bring it your attention.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi I got mine from here https://www.pecheur.com/ they are based in France so EU rules apply
No rip off by HM customs for importing something from the States.
If you want the skywalker rod it is brand new only came out this year so they may not have in stock yet but I found them a great company to deal with so maybe advance order from them good luck.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yep, having trouble finding them listed but probably no surprise at this time.
I'm in the Channel Islands so never get stung for any duty etc.
But petrol is £1.88 a litre and bread £2.50 a loaf so it balances out!

·
Registered
429 Posts
They do look nice Doug, there's a big jump from 120g to 220g tho. Most rods don't like casting their maximum weights so there's a big gap between these two?
I have a sakura (80 - 150) prefers about 120g ideally. The smiths is rated 200 (I think) prefers about 170max. Is that the same scenario with these?
Most popping & stickbaits rods also give max drag at 45°, couldn't see that under description

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are some hearty Rise jigging videos on you tube look pretty impressive
Their four piece rods have a closed down length of 65cm
Not many rod company's make travel rods that will fit into a rolling duffel bag

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone got an update on the Skywalker Popping rods from HR? I'm going to Socotra in March and this seems to solve a lot of problems.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Some rods start getting so pricy you feel scared to use them, or at least push them to the limit, I have a few like that that tend to stay home more than get used these days.

If I was to buy a heavy travel rod now I would look at possibly getting a 3 piece Shimano grappler C Grappler Travel Ive heard very good reports from people chasing bluefin and yellowfin well over the 70kg size using surface lures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts