World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
These are the hooks but it's not so much about the lure but the range you can flick these in comparison with poppers, divers and other hard bodie lures. They are a fraction of the price and can be stopped as they hit the surface, then worked accross the surface. Weighted lures have the advantage that they can be fished at any depth you choose depending on your retrieval.

If you would like some very good value lures and able to carry a few back to the UK at the end of trip, i highly recommend ordering a few from here ( details in the top of the screen shots) some of these lures are only just over one quid :Oo:

The hooks those lures come with, they stand up to bluefin tuna no problem.

View attachment 1208953

Tackle store I've been getting a few metals from lately, might be worth you getting a few sent to your Aussie address.

View attachment 1208955 View attachment 1208957 View attachment 1208959

All I seem to be doing at the moment is stocking up on lures I cant use over here, these I can, 40g,
Bored shitless.jpg
but it didnt work out cheap, these lures were about £3 each, with shitty trebles, so replaced them with new split rings, in line hooks and a swivel, think I am looking at £4.50 to £5.00 a lure, it must be easier to buy them already done (I dont like trebles)

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
The best metal buy a country mile and most commonly used in Qld is the Flasha. I prefer 40g and 50g. But you have to change the treble..

U_UFLASHALURES.jpeg.jpg

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Jon, coat those in some epoxy, I use amazing clearcast resin, revives a lure or protects it to start with . . . . If ever your not catching & have time . .
To be honest mate Ive never found a lure stops working due to lack of paint. Some of my best lures simply have none of the original paint and work better than they were when new. In saying that I have given some deepwater jigs which have luminous paint a coat in the past but can't say if it makes any difference as it's never to long before something toothy ends up with my jigs.

This little hard body lure is the best lure I've ever used but it didn't become a fish catching magnet untill it lost most of its paint. Funny thing is Ive bought more of these same lures which and can't catch anything on them yet ( tempted to sandpaper them ). My daughter has lures like this she keeps on her bedroom wall ( retired ) that look much the same.

IMG_4630.JPG

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know what you mean, my wife got me a 50c lure out of the whoopsie bin in walmart whilst in the u.s.a. despite most of the silvering coming off it's still a go to lure as it still catches!! More than $20 rapala! Go figure. . . . .

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought these for the same job (Costa Rica next year)..Decathlon Sports...Camperlan brand,known fish catchers, I think they go up to 80g.
I just take the hardware off and put my own hooks on (singles & assists).
£2.49 each..(they have other interesting metals on there)
20200813_105432.jpg

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
To be honest mate Ive never found a lure stops working due to lack of paint. Some of my best lures simply have none of the original paint and work better than they were when new. In saying that I have given some deepwater jigs which have luminous paint a coat in the past but can't say if it makes any difference as it's never to long before something toothy ends up with my jigs.

This little hard body lure is the best lure I've ever used but it didn't become a fish catching magnet untill it lost most of its paint. Funny thing is Ive bought more of these same lures which and can't catch anything on them yet ( tempted to sandpaper them ). My daughter has lures like this she keeps on her bedroom wall ( retired ) that look much the same.

View attachment 1293095

My dad used to tell me a story about my grandad, insisting the flash on a jigger had nothing to with catching fish, he painted one black and caught as many as everyone else. In those days jiggers were Chrome pipe filled with lead, with 4 single assist hooks on cord

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
My dad used to tell me a story about my grandad, insisting the flash on a jigger had nothing to with catching fish, he painted one black and caught as many as everyone else. In those days jiggers were Chrome pipe filled with lead, with 4 single assist hooks on cord
Black jigs are my favorate kingfish catcher, think I have one of those old pipe lures filled with lead somewhere!!!!

·
Registered
19,589 Posts
;) I think I still have a few of those with a treble, they worked 40 years ago, I wonder if they still do? ;)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I wouldn't trust them buddy,they are average at best. Ok on a pollack maybe. I've fitted mine with single Mustads and Seadra assists

All the hooks on mine are now in line singles BKK Lone Diablo got them from herehttp://www.jigabite.co.uk/productspds.aspx?sectionID=338&mv=6&sn=3

The good thing was I asked him to make sure the hooks fit the split rings, and he tried them out for me, I have wasted money buying them before when they didnt fit. Decoy split ring ex, size 5+, bought at the same place

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
forgive me, but if they both weigh 60g how can zinc sink slower than lead? Am I missing a point somewhere here?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts