World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Question - can I catch wrasse in West Wales anywhere, if at all?! :confused:
Ta

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
hello brand, i used to catch them in fishguard, so i dont see why not m8. some 1 will tell you, when they come on here, i am sure. welcome to the site........

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Steady lads. When you know someone personally or after a considerable time 'talking' on-line then gentle legpulls are acceptable, - just.

There is however a possibility that treating 'virtual' strangers as such friends will cause them a great deal of offence. It may well be that some thick skinned people cannot see the difference.

Can I suggest that until you 'know' someone well you treat them with respect, or at least try to be a bit more creative. There is a huge difference between an outright insult and a gentle leg-pull.

Do unto others ...etc.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
For the record, a training course I had to attend once stated the following.

"A joke is only a joke if the person receiving the punchline laughs - otherwise it is harassment and bullying".

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome Brand, this is a great site.

Swelleyman is right. Apart from the familiarity bit, there is also the delivery problem. If I meet a person and make a joke at his expense, he can tell by looking at my eyes and the tone of my voice that I am joking. He may object if he is thin skinned but will know, none the less, that it is not serious.

Anyway lads, away with all that. let us not forget who the real enemy is, pair fishers, beam trawlers, and any one who trawls right up to our beaches.

Fred

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
right then, let me just put somthing straight for you all to hear,the point i am getting across, or trying 2 is, we are a great bunch on here, and everybody helps everybody, if you no what i mean, but when we are after all the members we can get, and 1 pops up such as brand, and 1 of our members calls the welsh sheepshaggers, and bearing in mind its brands very 1st post, i dont think that says much for us, do you, great welcome for the man, i dont think, bet when he(brand) comes back on hes gonna be feeling a little unsure, dont you, thats my personal view, thats all........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah enough of the racism, were all mongrels, who can be absolutely sure where there genes come from.

Back to the wrasse question then.

Try out ya local rock marks using crab and rag.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Lads,

Poacher, I didn't even think that Bigfish "was having a go". I am thick skinned enough to know that he was joking. (Hope he was, otherwise he would have hurt my feelings) Ha! Ha! Ha!

Instead of being quite good, I would have used the word expert, but as I have only just learned how to do it professionally, i.e. not hack it to bits, I tended to be a bit modest. (As I am)

All joking aside, we Celts, are called quite a lot of things, but I am sure that we can take it all and more.

I can see your point, but I am sure that before Brand joined the Forum he must have read quite a few of the posts and saw what a friendly crowd we are. To call someone a S.S. is not being racist, as a Scot I've been called worse. (An American called me English)

Keep up the good work lads.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i just read the bit on wrasse on the right, all the mags and almost everyone i talk to recormends rag and crab,
this is the only site 've found that recormends lug. is this any good or is it just mistake?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Tozer said:
i just read the bit on wrasse on the right, all the mags and almost everyone i talk to recormends rag and crab,
this is the only site 've found that recormends lug. is this any good or is it just mistake?
It certainly isn't a mistake. Lugworm catches most of my wrasse each year. Crab is usally more selective in picking out bigger fish (although personally I struggle to convert bites to hook ups when using crab). My best ever wrasse was seduced by a lugworm, but normally I would start by using lug to see if the fish were there/feeding, and then switch to crab for a bigger specimen.

Welcome Brand. If you've got rocks and weed, then chances are that you have ballan wrasse.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Hi Brand,

Welcome to the forum!

Two marks you could try in good weather (dodgy in rough seas or when wet) are St Davids Head and the rocks NE of Porthgain. Both offer rough-ground fishing so take sinkers you don't mind losing!

Peeler crab's a good bait to start your session with - it gives off loads of scent and draws the fish to your mark. Once you are getting plenty of bites you can then switch to rag or lug if you're short of peelers. Should be plenty of 1/2-1lb fish about on these marks. Try a 1" hardback to see if any bigger fish are about. I either use a single hook paternoster or float-fish, the latter being a good way to spend a lazy summer's afternoon!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Prob end up goin after some conger this w/e.Trying for some wrasse in a week or two.Plenty of dogs about,some rays,bass and flats on gower.Bit of a conger adict,had about 14 this year to 23 lb.aim to get trigger or hound in 2005 cheers

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am the man indeed BellBoy! I am into conger now though, or anything that swims really! I was up Cliffys today actually, getting bait.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Hey Brandon you got any fillets of that cod left? the season I had last year, means that my freezer is looking pretty sick! All donations gratefully recieved!!!!
blueskip

·
Registered
325 Posts
we don't need to ask brand what his best catch was. I would have settled for the tail on that one.

Fred

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Hey Brand

I have often wondered how that cod was caught - but always assumed it would be one of those things I would never get to know.

So, please could you tell us how it happened?

Rod type, reel, bait, hook size etc etc. Also - how long did it take to land - and any other juicy bits of info.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
44.5 lb cod- we're not worthy, we're not worthy- slopes off snuffling into his pint. anyway welocome to the site m8

1 - 20 of 23 Posts