World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 58yrs old like to do a bit of seafishing,beach,pier,novice mind you,The real question is I just bought a 15ft mayland dingy Ha Ha :) with cuddy plus 15 hp mariner is it okay for the sea,is it safe to use just offshore somebody told a little wave would turn it over :eek: "Scarey".
Cheers Jos.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Hi Jos, welcome to the site.

The Mayland will be OK for inshore in calm conditions if handled correctly. If you have not owned a small boat before get someone to go out with you who has some experience.

Have a think about joining a local boat fishing club, you will get help and advice there. Also have a look at the RNLI site for safety information and the RYA site, they are responsible for administering the various proficiency courses run for boat handling. RYA Level 2 course is an ideal starter to introduce you to the basics.

Try to pick a sheltered area for your first launch without fast currents or underwater hazards which will require navigation skills to avoid, and most importantly calm, settled weather. You don't say where you are from but some harbour areas and estuarys around the country are ideal to find your legs, but please have someone with you who knows small boats and the area you are sailing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Jos, There are some good sheltered areas you would be able to fish within the Solent area with plenty of species to pick from, just watch out for the ferries, there are quite a few launch sites one of the best is in Stokes Bay and another is Lee on Solent which is a bit steep. both on the Gosport side of Portsmouth Harbour and don.t require you to run out of the harbour which can get very sloppy on the full run of the tide.
any help I can give for this area just ask mate.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
welcome jos to the site m8. u will get lots of help and advice here. chrisp is well up on the boats m8. i ad a 15 ft mayland for 5 yrs, with a 25 hp jonson, i loved it, it is only common senseu need. and u r no youngster, so u obviosly av that sense,, if i thought it was 2 rough i wouldnt go out. but i ad m8s with larger boats, so i had a choice.. get used to it, and u will no its limitations. go with some 1 who can show u the ropes so to speak, u wont look bak. happy motoring, we have a chat room in the evenings, if u want to chat to chrisp, or any 1 else u can also do it privately in the room m8, we will show u how, so come along.. c u there..

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Jos,

Welcome to the Forum.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot guys for the advice.
Cheers Jos.
ps Fished off Penarth pier sunday blanked but other people where catching whiting quite a few eatable size.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Jos, when the weather gets better (& I have finished the modifications I am doing) make arrangements to come down to Swansea, we can have a poodle around the Bay in safety, & I can take you to a couple of marks where we can have a dangle for plaice, black bream etc. Use your common sense, & purchase as much safety equipment as you can afford, you wont go far wrong.
My small boat is like a mini NASA vessel with all the "boys toys" in miniature, but I have been boating for years & built up my collection, as the basic minimum I would say Lifejacket, Flares, handheld VHF radio (with 2 channels 16 & 67 is all you really NEED) I dont chat to people unless forced to!
Make sure you have a good main anchor (oversize for the boat wont hurt), & a set of oars if you only have 1 engine, (you can always row to the nearest shore & walk home).
As I said before I have all the other stuff GPS, Fishfinder/sounder, compasses (2)
spare anchors, fire extinguisher, aux engine +oars, spare ropes, throwing lines etc,etc,etc, & I wouldn't be without my "trani" & Radio 2! But it isn't ESSENTIAL!
Next investment Digital Signal device where you press a button & it automatically signals HM Coastguard with your details & position, some of my mates call me Mr Cautious the OTT man! so what, they all know who to call when they have a problem on the water!
Be sensible, use your 58yrs of experience & remember, when your car breaks down you can walk home, not so with your boat, enjoy your new new hobby, stay safe, & remember any time you spend checking your boat before you go out is time well invested.
Sorry for the length of the post, but you dont get many chances to rehearse the possible dangers, you can only try to eliminate as many as possible.
blueskip

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi There Blueskip,
Thanks for the info I have written it all down,Just bought a boat compasse got a anchor,oars came with the boat.
I would like to come to Swansea in the near future need to work on the boat a little general clean and paint.
Cheers Jos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts