World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Jay here,

I'm looking into getting into some Light fishing and that's why I've joined the forum. I came down to the Dundee area of Scotland yesterday as I'm moving into Dundee for a while. My brother lives here asked if i would like to go fishing (always a great past-time of ours) Off we went to riverside Dundee. But, as as in all of life, all great things must come to an end. I realised after my fith cast out with the beachcaster and haulling the 6 oz lead back through the weed.. I'm just not capable of this type of fishing anymore. it plays havoc with my joints, my back and shoulders and hands are still hurting today 🤩Then I remembered seeing this possibly japanese guy years ago at brought ferry castle hauling out what looked to be blennies with a tiny rod and tiny hooks. Some googling, couple of videos and here I am on World sea Fishing 😆

I currently have a lure rod (Shimano 10g-40g) and a Dawai* Ninja reel. The days of me launching 25g dexter wedges appear to be over, So I'm thinking along the lines of 1-7g gram rod. Surely this can't play havoc with the joints I'm thinking, especially drop shotting. Oh, stupid question incoming, I assume an LRF rod can be used just as easily for drop shotting as casting small lures out?

Also: I;ve had a quick look at rods, I've seen an HTo rockfish rod, a shakespeare* agility rod, and an HTO rockrover rod. I'm not wanting to spend to much money as I've no expierence doing this, and Life and and a bunch of other things have left me on skidrow. I must admit, the HTO travel rod looks good, but no hard case for it, I imagine it's very fragile. Are any of these rods a good start into LRF, woyld ebay be better getting second hand but higher quality rods?

I've seen as bait/lures Isome* worms are good to start with, they appear to be sold out most places though, anybody suggest an alternative worm readily avaialble? Also can anyone point me to a good video showing me the basic setup of rigging up these worms for drop shotting and casting with them on a 17g gram rod?

Lastly: I assume my dawia Ninja with some decent light braid would be as good as any reel to begin with? Possibly a bit heavy I assume, but easily enough to get me srtarted I think?

If anyone has any other tips and advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the Dundee area of Scotland, have broughty harbour (river Tay?Tay estuary) to start fishing from for my first escapedes.

I know multiples of these questions were possibly asked befor barr Scotland , Dundee. But when i clicked the sticky link, i can't se any links in the sticky link, possibly my computer settings.

Thanks, all, and if i catch anything I'll be sure to post pictures!

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
66,700 Posts
Hi and welcome to WSF.
If you click the sticky links thing you should get a whole page of threads.

If you can't view it please let me know and I will investigate.

Nick :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I told my daughter that for every scholarship she didn't apply for because "it wasn't a lot of money" she owed me that amount. For instance she told me she didn't want to try for one because it was $500 because it wasn't a lot when it came to college. I said ok now you owe me $500. Oh lordy, I don't have $500, that's a lot of money! Guess what, she applied and won. Whew, sometimes teenager's can be so difficult! Sigh, she didn't lick it off the grass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts