World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have just bought an ABU 6000 Tournament multiplier off eBay for a song of a price in Red!!

The only one problem is that it has the handle with 2 knobs on it of which I cant stand!!!

Can anyone tell me where I can get the single handle for this reel please?
The handle that I want is the power handle with the FLAT 'T' shaped knob in RED.

Where and how much?

Thanks
Rich

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i just bought a modified one, it uses, i believe, the handle from a 7000,
Hugh

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
They come with the twin knob handle as standard, but you can get a power handle from Pure Fishing 0845 0500093. I'd check first with them whether a power handle is suitable, if it's a newer model it will be fine, the older ones like mine have a habit of allowing the handle to turn during the cast and tripping the free spool in mid flight, a replacement spring will remedy that though.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Im pretty sure that you will not find a power handle in red to fit your 6000,they do produce a nice red one for a 7000 but the hole in the handle is larger than the 6000 series ,as far as i know in the UK ABU have only supplied them in black, silver, green ,drilled silver and now in a nice gold on the latest 6500 mag im sure one of them will match/contrast your reel ,Peter Coogan will be able to get whatever bits you need ,just be carefull in that only the reels originally supplied with power handles tend to have upgraded mechanism,s inside to counteract the handle from kicking the reel into gear midcast

·
12,847 Posts
here's my reel, got it with a penn powergraph bass rod, it's had the level wind removed, and a handle from a 7000 (according to the local abu dealer) fitted, the ratchet also removed (if anyone has the ratchet mech, and doesn't want it, i'll swap it for some reflective tape ?).

upon looking more closely just now, i could se the the hole for the handle drive is a little big, but i think it looks worn, rather than simply too big, i also just drilled the two holes you can see, they were a depression with a knobbly bit behind, i drilled them out as the knobbly bits were wearing away the washer between the handle and star drag,

ps, can't make the handle trip the free spool without some pressure, more pressure than it could give itself under it's own weight.

hope this helps.

Hugh

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Crazyplums the handle you have is off an ABU 9000 and the hole is the same size as a 7000 so it will be a bit big.The first 6500 ABU reels fitted with a bigger handle were the grey sports rocket Mk1 and were notorious for knocking themselves back into gear midcast its not the weight of the handle but the inertia during the cast ,ABU cured this with an upgraded spring on the internal mechanism ,this however is one of the causes of the small end of the arm that re engages the reel wearing away, the spring puts a lot of pressure on a tiny point of contact and cause the arm to bend ,cheap to fix but annoying when it happens

·
12,847 Posts
aye, i know what you mean, i never cast this reel hard anyways, just a float / lure rod/reel set up, so not too fussed just yet !

one of my mag elites has it's moments with the trip lever, only 12month old or so, and i've had 3 plates / repairs already ! my older one, had for about 6 months, has never been a prob !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts