World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Am going to fish Deal Pier on Wednesday morning.

I have had a look through the forum and all I can see is storys of lost tackle.

Any advice on how to avoid the snags would be great.

Going to fish a pulley rig.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello all.

Thanks all.
I find the only way to avoid snags at Deal pier is to fish without hooks and weights. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
If it's tackle snags down there it's hard to get round it. I'd be tempted to fish it like a rock mark Rotton bottom, fast retrieve reel maybe lead lifts. i usually just use 25lb straight through on the rocks, but that wont be safe on a crowded pier

I think from what I can remember people were saying to cast quite far and then just retrieve really quick.

Or Float fish it:thumbs:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol thanks guys.

Looks like i will be fishing Addy instead!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well!

Deal pier snags, this is a tough one?

Along the stem 1st to 2nd shelter pretty good may get the odd snag?

2nd to 3rd shelter Sandwich side has less snags but walmer side tends to fish the best, especially on the flood. 3rd shelter to 4th shelter, the closer you go to number 4 the worse the snags get and thats either side! dont fish 4th shelter unless you've nowhere else on the pier, its pretty tackle unhungry there.

Bottom Deck!

This has to be the tackle grave yard, seen so many people lose in excess of 10 rigs in a day. If you want to fish the bottom try and stick to the end of the bottom arms nearly facing the beach, these are probably the least tackle hungry places, but of course always take plenty of gear as some days just seem to be worse than others.

Ive seen Tom the tank pull in no less than 16 weights on 1 retrieve on the bottom deck, good job he had an older rod the carbon fibre ones would never have managed to pull that lot up. The ball of line must ave been close to 4ft diameter! so there's plenty of gear down there.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Don't use breakout leads, because if you hit a line snag it won't release as the line will get trapped between the wire and the lead but the wires will not release. Soft fixed wire leads like a gemini blue head or breakaway softy will release from line snags far better.

Also, don't cast too far, a steeper line angle may help you get the lead up off the seabed quicker.

·
Registered
920 Posts
some people can cast over the snags, not always possible so 30lb line straight through, 15lb and a leader is pointless when fishing in snags, just adds to it! single hooks that will eventually bend n pull out, no unnecessary crap on your rig ie impact shields or gemini links that pull nicely into line snags. 6oz soft wire fixed grip leads to bend out of line snags and not drift round into the snags, rotten bottom weak links too if you like.

i've got n old anchor i'm gonna sling off there at low water soon, see if i can bring up some lost tackle to top up the weight stores!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hello all.

Thanks all.
Dave two words Admiralty pier . under no circumstances should you go Any were near deal pier if you need more info send me a pm OK. regards word

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
lisen ill let you into a secret on how to avoid the snags at deal pier its really simple DONT GO THERE captin help full:sun::sun::sun:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Any thoughts on why it's got so bad there?
I've fished Deal pier on and off for 25 years and while there were always a few snags it wasn't that bad.
Last two or three years it's got so bad with line snags it's almost unfishable at times, only tried it once last autumn, lost 5 sets of gear in 6 casts and gave up!
I wonder if the tidal current has shifted for some reason and exposed more rock or scrap that was covered?
Or maybe it's lighter lines an breakaway leads, but they've been used for year, don't know, any ideas?
Shame really, I used to like fishing there.

·
Registered
442 Posts
just working through the numbers gives you the answer, if everyone is loosing 5 or 6 sets of gear a day down there, all using shockleader and casting at varying distances, before long you are going to end up with a mass of twisted shockleader ropes. I have been there and not lost a single set, and been there other times and emptied my whole tackle box loosing one set per cast.

I have heard that they drag the bottom on occassions and heard rumours of tons and tons of lead being brought up, but this is only hearsay.

If you want any chance of getting your gear back when on the bottom deck,bang it out as far as you possibly can, make sure you cast slightly uptide, to ensure your weight is set and when you do star to retrieve, wind like crazy and dont stop if you do manage to get it moving. Lead lifts may help, but again more to loose if you do get snagged.

·
Registered
920 Posts
it is possible to cast over the snags, using the 30lb+ line straight through, simple race and soft fixed wire lead plus fast retrieve, works best for me, something usually gives before the line parts. fast retrieve and lead lifts can work , if they dont snag! most of it is light line n leaders plus feathers n other crap, admiralty pier can be the same (certainly was last autumn!)

they have dragged the pier, helped for a bit but still very snaggy, tons of stuff came up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dave, if u must fish deal pier get yourself some live shrimp n prawn, fish a boom rig down along the pier legs!:sneaky2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts