World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i recently purchased a penn powerstick surf 13' for £70 now i due to try it out this friday, my original intension was to get the diawa sandstorm but i was convinced otherwise - have i made the right decision, i have little idea of what i should have been looking for so i relide compleatly on the store to give me the right advice?? any input would be apriciated :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
hi i recently purchased a penn powerstick surf 13' for £70 now i due to try it out this friday, my original intension was to get the diawa sandstorm but i was convinced otherwise - have i made the right decision, i have little idea of what i should have been looking for so i relide compleatly on the store to give me the right advice?? any input would be apriciated :)
The powerstick is a very popular rod. Do a search for it on the Tackle section of this forum and ypu'll see it's often recommended. Although the Sand Storm may be an excellent rod too, I don't think you need to worry about having made the wrong decision.

Cheers,

John

P.S. I think the Powerstick is in 3 sections, which is a bonus regarding transportation.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ive got both of the rods and use them for different things. They are different rods.
I use the powerstix on the beach. Its a nice light rod and has some finesse but not brilliant when the surf is up. Bit floppy on the tip. I use the sanstorm for mixed ground and congering. Its a lot stiffer and heavier. I wouldnt want to hold onto that thing all night. As per always, there are some better rods on the market but for those of us on a budget have to make do. But 2 good rods. If i could only have one it would be the Penn everyday.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've also got a 13' Powerstix - excellent rod and to my mind you made the right choice. Light and being a 3 - piece, easy to transport.

I don't know what sort of reel you have, but another benefit is that the rod is rated as an m/fs rod, which means you can use it with a multiplier or fixed spool reel. Great if you are starting out with a fixed spool, but choose to convert to a multi when you are al little more experienced.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
im sorry i have to dissagree with the majority here ,id go for the daiwa wouldnt have a 3 piece in my colection ,dont care what anyone says ive seen the spigots on penns and they look like the same old same to me despite claims to be better designed these days and the multi/fs combo oh please do me a favour
jack of all trades master of none designed to catch the lesuire angler on hols with no idea what reel to use or fish he is likely to catch
(sticks tin hat on and digs in )
sandstorm of the two or something else like an abu or mustad im afraid

·
Registered
424 Posts
im sorry i have to dissagree with the majority here ,id go for the daiwa wouldnt have a 3 piece in my colection ,dont care what anyone says ive seen the spigots on penns and they look like the same old same to me despite claims to be better designed these days and the multi/fs combo oh please do me a favour
jack of all trades master of none designed to catch the lesuire angler on hols with no idea what reel to use or fish he is likely to catch
What, exactly, is "the same old same"? I have the Penn Jetstream 4-piece and Seatrek 3-piece and find them very fine rods that cast and fish just like 2-piece ones. The spigots are well designed and are no different from those on the latter apart from the strengthening rings on the Seatrek. There are some 3-piece rods in the budget bracket that might be rubbish, but the Penns are certainly not in that category and I wouldn't expect the Powerstick to be either.

I agree about hybrid ringing being a compromise and I prefer rods to be rung for one type of reel or the other, but this practice isn't confined to 3-piece rods. If the Powerstick is rung like the Seatrek then I'd say it was biased towards multipliers.

If you just don't like 3-piece rods then fine - but you shouldn't knock them unless you've tried them or have other, reliable evidence that they're inferior.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Interesting, still the same old bias against three-piece rods. Blackbeard used to kick out against them, he ended up designing three piece rods for Penn. My three-piece and Jo's one have so far been to Australia, Florida, Portugal, Jamaica, Ireland, Belgium, The Gambia, sometimes with us, sometimes on loan to friends, and they have always returned as they went. In a few weeks they will be travelling to Scotland, then perhaps back to Ireland a few weeks later, then back home to South Devon. Try taking your overlong rods on a plane these days, and see how you get on costwise. These rods were designed by Mike McManus, who knows little about fishing, but knows an awful lot about tubes and allied subjects, he is after all an engineer.

philtherod

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think one point you have not covered is cost - yes - you are quite right, if you are able to pay a 3-figure sum for a rod you will probably be looking at somthing with a far tighter spec and of higher quality. These rods can be picked up for as little as £40 with the RRP closer to £70 and represent excellent value even at full price. It's certainly not a rod to flog to tourists but a serious mid-price rod.

As for the 3-piece bias - I'm no expert, but don't see it as a problem, indeed it's an advantage - I can't get my 2-piece 13' rod in my Mini!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
i think the transport factor is this rods biggest selling point , i dont doubt that it will be built well but it screams compromises

all strong beach rods that cast well are two piece ,theres a reason behind that .
it doesnt have any features i look for and because of the compromises isnt one i would choose or recomend, if someone like yourself needs a smaller rod (packed down) then fair enough nowt wrong with that , but as far as comparing it to other rods in that price bracket i dont think it comes out well enough
and for that reason i wouldnt choose one

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i think the transport factor is this rods biggest selling point , i dont doubt that it will be built well but it screams compromises

all strong beach rods that cast well are two piece ,theres a reason behind that .
it doesnt have any features i look for and because of the compromises isnt one i would choose or recomend, if someone like yourself needs a smaller rod (packed down) then fair enough nowt wrong with that , but as far as comparing it to other rods in that price bracket i dont think it comes out well enough
Disagree big time. I paid £40 for mine and i cant see a rod that comes even close to it for that money.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
If I only had one rod I would keep the Powerstix, I have 3 different ones form the range and personally I dont think they can be argued for value for money. One major advantage is the 'jack of all trades' thing, as a starter you may only have a fixed spool, but at least you dont need to go and buy a rod rung for multi ASAP as the Powerstix will cope with either. We are not talking tourny caster, but starter that requires versitility and excellent customer service, what ever gripes folks have with Penn, customer service is second to none.

I have 4 piece rods that have been lobbed out by some talented casters, cynics who were most impressed. Of course their are bargains about, but better to have a rod and get out their doing it than clicking a mouse for two weeks and still not knowing what rod to buy.

You have a rod that you can depend on matey and will stay with you even if you buy another rod, very versitile.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

I reckon "beginners & improvers" is not the place for discussion of multi-sections. Most good makes of beach rods are good enough for all beginners . Well, maybe until you get to more than 4 sections.

Indeed, when did you last see a 1-piece rod used at casting tournament ? It is rare indeed, now.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

Mult-section fly rods work fine and have been around for a long time. Why not sea rods? Your point is not valid. If properly designed the number of sections wiill make very little difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts