World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest what the best sub-£50.00 reel would be to go with a Penn Powerstix bass rod?

I'd also like a better reel for my spinning rod which is 9ft-again with £50.00 absolute max.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
For the bass rod I'd go for a shimano reel capable of holding a decent amount of 25lb line. Make of reel is a personal preferance but I got my first shimano reel this year for under the £50 mark and it's the best reel I've ever bought. Same with the spinning rod one mate, again I would try and pick up a wee shimano.

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
For the bass rod I'd go for a shimano reel capable of holding a decent amount of 25lb line. Make of reel is a personal preferance but I got my first shimano reel this year for under the £50 mark and it's the best reel I've ever bought. Same with the spinning rod one mate, again I would try and pick up a wee shimano.
good lord how big a bass are you expecting lol

i would stick to braid for bassing, maybe berkley whiplash crystal in about 20lb as the diameter is very low. if fishing in clear water or in close the braid with flourocarbon hooklinks is the way to go. as for the reel, pretty much any 5000-6000 size reel will do the trick. have a look at the shimano 6000ra baitrunner, very nice reel and in argos for only 39.99. added advantage of having the baitrunner is if you have the rod in the rest and a biggie hits it the you wont be waving bye bye to the rod!

·
Registered
709 Posts
perfect choice well recomended , trouble is i want one !! and my Argos,s by me aint got one , maybe fleebay?

go for one , or two!!

spiky :doh:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there much difference between a baitcaster and a fixed spool reel? I am just about getting to grips with my current reel and want to keep it simple as possible. The Shimano gets brilliant reviews though..

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
Is there much difference between a baitcaster and a fixed spool reel? I am just about getting to grips with my current reel and want to keep it simple as possible. The Shimano gets brilliant reviews though..
im assuming you mean "baitrunner" mate. basically the baitrunner system is a simple big lever usually on the back of the reel (all fixed spool) that allows the reel to go into freespool mode so line can be stripped from the reel without loosening the drag off. it is commonplace in the puddlechucking world (carp fishing) but has its uses in the beach angling sector and acts just like the ratchet setting on a multiplier reel. simply set the rod in the stand as usual, click the baitrunner switch to "on" then wait for a bass to hit the bait and make a run, then pick up the rod and wind the handle which disengages the baitrunner and returns the reel to normal use. the reel i suggested will work well with the plugging rod aswell, also with 20lb whiplash crystal braid so no need to change spools for each job :thumbs:

hope this helps fella

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, it's been a long day-I did mean bait runner. That does help quite a bit. I presume I would cast it in the same way I do my existing reel i.e. bale off, finger pressure to hold the line, cast and bale back on? Not in stock at Argos any more unfortunately!!

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
Sorry, it's been a long day-I did mean bait runner. That does help quite a bit. I presume I would cast it in the same way I do my existing reel i.e. bale off, finger pressure to hold the line, cast and bale back on? Not in stock at Argos any more unfortunately!!
it is a fixed spool so you would use it in the same way just with the added bonus of being able to set it to freespool when bassing in close

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
perfect choice well recomended , trouble is i want one !! and my Argos,s by me aint got one , maybe fleebay?

go for one , or two!!

spiky :doh:
nailors have them here at £39.99 + £5 delivery :thumbs: i had one for ages then gave it away as i won a daiwa baitrunner in a comp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts