World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a birthday coming up shortly, closer to 50 than 40 unfortunatly

I need to choose a prezzy and i'm thinking a new reel. I am thinking of taking a big step and converting to a multiplyer from a fixed spool but am very nervous about using one, any advice or suggestions on models, I was thinking Penn 525 but what suggestions do you guys have, I will be fishing of the beach rocks etc

fire away guys and confuse the sh1t out of me

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Sounds like a good bet setting your sights at a penn 525mag if you want a multi-purpose reel... Can't comment on the new saltists from daiwa, but heard good things about them off other peeps!!!

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
I can comment on the Saltist20H....its freekin fantastic!!! Most reels you can wish somethings were better, retrieve rate,spool capacity, casting ability etc, but the saltist has,imho, no faults whatsoever :thumbs:
Mind you, the 525 Mag might be a better choice for the newly converted because of the controllability the mags give you :thumbs:

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is this the same as the super mag

PENN 525 MAG XTRA REEL (525magx)

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
i switched from fixed spools to multiplyers about 12 months ago, i've now got 6 ct mags, 3 525 mag xtra's & 3 abu 6500's.. for a good all rounder, go for the 525 mag xtra... Keep em tight. Mad one.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i switched from fixed spools to multiplyers about 12 months ago, i've now got 6 ct mags, 3 525 mag xtra's & 3 abu 6500's.. for a good all rounder, go for the 525 mag xtra... Keep em tight. Mad one.
MAD ONE
How hard was the transition from Fixed spool to Multi i would be interested in the learning curve, Was it easy to make the change and what was the most advantage of the Multi over the Fixed spool.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ive just gone full on 2 a multi an got a abu 6500 c3 ct mag ive only had a few outings up 2 now an been taking things easy wth brake an mag settings.an found the reel a pleasure 2 use nxt time out im going 2 loosen things up a bit so things mght get a bit intresting.hope this helped a bit.tight lines jangle

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You may or may not also require a rod change to matey...They're "rung" differently. What areyou currently using rod wise?
Ryan

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a couple of 525 mags and they are fantastic reels, however, I have recently bought a 7HT Mag Turbo, and this is probably the best reel I have ever used. It casts like a dream and the retreive ratio is phenominal!!!

My choice would be a 7HT Mag Turbo:clap:

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
I have a couple of 525 mags and they are fantastic reels, however, I have recently bought a 7HT Mag Turbo, and this is probably the best reel I have ever used. It casts like a dream and the retreive ratio is phenominal!!!

My choice would be a 7HT Mag Turbo:clap:

Don't think the internal gearing is for regular rough stuff useage...

What's the TTLD like mate - have you bent into it yet...???

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may or may not also require a rod change to matey...They're "rung" differently. What areyou currently using rod wise?
Ryan
I will have to look at the rod, I have a couple of rods my beach one is a 15ft Penn Power Stix with fixed spool rings, I'm looking at getting a 12ft Penn Power Stix with multiplyer rings

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys the 525 looks like the popular choice,

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Set my newbie fishing buddy up with a complete kit yesterday and went for the Mag 525, no question. It will take him a while to get used to (he had trouble even filling it with line) but you soon get the hang of it. Just practise casting on a field or clean beach with the brakes full on and maybe the two extra magnets added as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd start off placing the multiplier at the bottom of your butt with your left hand on it. I switched a few months back and had it up top, then moved it to the bottom...much smoother and feels more natural too.

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
go for the slosh user frieindly bullet proof i've used mine for yrs along side my mag-elite great for sand and rocks..but the choice is yours andy..

·
Registered
215 Posts
slosh is a tremendous reel....i have the shv which casts like a dream.....fast wen u want it and u r in complete control wen ur just pleasure fishing.....has a hell of a retrieve for getting over the ruff stuff and i use it for all clean and mixed beaches!!!! and unlike the abu's the body is like a rock and there is no chance of a dent.....bullet proof was the quote ...... daiwa sl-x20 shv all the way mate!!

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
MAD ONE
How hard was the transition from Fixed spool to Multi i would be interested in the learning curve, Was it easy to make the change and what was the most advantage of the Multi over the Fixed spool.

To be honest Billy, it wasn't as smooth as i thought it was going to be, firstly, because i was used to winding in with my left hand, i bought an Abu 6501c3 with a level wind, then after 6 weeks or so, i removed the level wind and fitted a conversion bar to get used to laying on the line by hand, then i decided to make the leap to right hand wind, (which at first, was weird as fekk) but after a few sessions over the fields with the mags full on i gradually got used to it.
All in all, i'd say it took me about 4/5 months to feel totally at home with using multypliers, and now i'm using mine with nearly all the brake blocks removed, and the mags set to minimum.
The advantage over fixed spools i'd say, has to be distance, the disadvantage has got to be speed of retrieve and the odd Birdsnest ..Hope this helps...keep 'em tight..Mad one.:punk:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts