World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Friend of mine was given a freebie Shakespeare Seaswell? 30-50lb boat rod from a closing down tackle shop - only problem is the tip ring is missing.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to go about fixing it? I see Veals do plenty rings and reccomend one type in particular for boat rods but does it just need glueing on or will it need whipping etc. or would it fair better with a roller tip?

Please keep your suggestions quite cheap as we don't really want to spend a fortune on this considering the price cheapo boat rods can be picked up for.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Baz, you`ll get by fine with a basic guide put on with hot melt glue, no need to thread wrap it unless you buy something like an alconite tip which has a foot. If you decide on a roller exactly the same.

Get the right diameter tube 3, 4, 5mm whatever, cut slivers of hot melt and put them into the tube, heat the tube, stick it on, line up immediately, job done a minute or two later.

Dont rub the hot melt onto the blank as all that happens is it rubs off as you push the tip on and you get bad adhesion.

Should cost you about £3-£5 max for the tip, depending which one you choose.

:unsure: :unsure: :)

G

·
Baz, you`ll get by fine with a basic guide put on with hot melt glue, no need to thread wrap it unless you buy something like an alconite tip which has a foot. If you decide on a roller exactly the same.

Get the right diameter tube 3, 4, 5mm whatever, cut slivers of hot melt and put them into the tube, heat the tube, stick it on, line up immediately, job done a minute or two later.

Dont rub the hot melt onto the blank as all that happens is it rubs off as you push the tip on and you get bad adhesion.

Should cost you about £3-£5 max for the tip, depending which one you choose.

:unsure: :unsure: :)

In addition, remember to put glue on, otherwise they fall off.

Don't they Stan:blink:

I araldite mine back on, but araldite is a pig to remove if you break the ring later.
Stan's hot glue is much better as you can always heat it up and slide off the ring at a later date should you need to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts