World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people. Just about to start shore fishing again, did a little years back (more than I care to remember). I would like a little help please from all you wise members. I am going down to Bridgwater in Somerset in a couple of weeks. Can anyone give me an idea of any (easy to fish) places around that area that I could go to. Many thanks :help:

·
Registered
441 Posts
welcome to the forums you'll learn alot on here!! sorry i cant help you out not my area but sure someone will!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, it will be a great help, now all I need is to practice casting, bait up, use the right hooks and bait, work out the tides, use the right rigs, try my new gear, etc etc, oh yes, then actually catch a fish...... alan

·
Registered
214 Posts
get ya self to budley salterton nite fishing..... loadsa rockling doggys pouts etc. with S/E rays long range and the odd smoothound

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, budleigh salterton is only 1 hour away from where I will be in somerset, so I maight try that one night.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Blue Anchor would fit the bill for an easy venue but the fishing is not great at the moment with far more blank returns than catches. As someone else said a trip to the South coast should see a better chance of catching with dogs at night and macks by day. It may be further to drive but at present you could well catch more fish in one evening on the south coast than you will in ten on the Bristol Channel.
PS It may pay to allow a bit more than an hour to get to the south coast as last time I drove through Bridgwater it took over 30 mins to get from J24 to Morrisons!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
chesil beach is probably a trip of 1.5hrs away, and there are plenty of spots along its length.

For the north coast, you can try coming down to illfracombe pier, its an "easy fish" not everybodys cup of tea, it has been called the "crap venue" in the past, but ideal for easy access and easy fishing, plenty of species available there.

do a forum search for "illfracombe" or "crap venue" there are quite a few catch reports on here, showing an interesting diversity of species.

small hooks and small baits will see you catch something. you can park almost right where you are fishing.

it works well over Low tide when the lower decks are exposed, or over high from the "north wall" can be crowded out sometimes thought especially at weekends in the summer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ilfracombe pier has its uses, and its fans, but it is a long and horrible summer drive from Bridgwater and would not be a venue I would suggest traveling to. Especialy if you get the tide wrong and find it vanishing underwater when you arrive!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, for all the advice. I could do with going to Bournemouth for another reason, so I could stay on and do some around there, any tips for marks around that area would be good. I will be going to somerset tomorrow so it will be monday / tuesday I will venture to bournemouth

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
alant123,
Bournemouth beaches will be full of non-fishing types this time of year, plenty of places to fish in and around Poole; have a look around my blog for directions and details.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts