World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
we go hiking to a trout lake in the mountains, I have experience on the river, but not so mutch on the lakes here in ireland :g: , can any one give me some secret tips for fly chose :idea: , would be great when the hike of 3 hours would not be for nothing,

Tx a million and tight lines
Heiko

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi mate not sure this is in the right `fly` section (this is saltwater fly), but before it may get moved here goes....

presuming your quarry are wild browns i would use a 9`6 or 10` rod with an aftm rating of 6 or 7. floating fly line 10-15 foot leader with a team of 3 flies. top dropper use either dabblers, bibio/zulu, sedge patterns/hoppers etc as a wake fly (gink them up) on the bottom droppers buzzer patterns or nymphs such as grhe or pt nymphs etc. its also worth having in your box beetle patterns, fry patterns, dragon fly nymphs etc as wild browns (unlike stocked rainbows) feed on natural food forget things like cats whiskers!!! to be honest there are thousand of variations on one type of fly!!!! if i was fishing `virgin water` my cast would consist of the following:

wake fly: claret bumble or claret zulu
dropper : conamarra black or diawl bach
point: GRHE or PTN

grhe - gold ribbed hears ear
ptn - pheasant tail nymph

leader would be 7lb riverge grand max to wake fly, 6lb to dropper and 5lb to point fly. this tappering also gives an excellent turnover and presentation. hope it helps

·
Registered
536 Posts
Generally good advice above, it is getting late in the season for drys now but always worth having some dry hoppers and sedges if there is a hatch they can be prolific.

Wouldn't try for browns without a soldier palmer, black pennel or greenwells glory in my box.

Tight lines.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi, I`m not suggesting to fish dries, what i am suggesting is to use a `wake` fly on the top. the difference being you are trying to attract/arouse the curiosity of the fish, sometimes you will get swirls, follows and then everything goes tight and they`ve taken the dropper fly!! fishing with dries is a whole different ball game of matching the hatch, size colour, presentation, casting at rising fish etc. i could go on.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers tx for help, will look what my bench will produce, so busy week for me now.
i was looking for bibo emerger and bibo, ur advice will narrow it down a bit

hope the weather stays dry and not to sunny

have a nice week

1 - 6 of 6 Posts