World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all fellow danglers I am coming down to barton on sea at the end off march to have a few ays shore fishing. . I am looking for a few starter points to assist me like where to fish and bait weights rigs and what I am likely to catch down that way if anything fingers crossed. Kind regards

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Not fished that end yet myself but it's a rather a shallow venue, i believe it's quite a bit Ray venue. You can go from Hurst castle (recommended on neap apparently) all the way around to Avon/Steamer point beach. I fish avon a lot, its a decent venue with half decent parking. Bass, pout, flounders should be about here.

Would recommend a trip round to Southbourne/Hengistbury too, bass, turbot, sole, plaice.

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
try fishing barton or hordle cliffs nearby for rays using sandeel or mackerel for bait

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Hi Mate,

Depending on the weather, you have a good chance of an early small eyed Ray, Turbot or Plaice. As above, sandeel is the bait of choice - a few shops locally will have them - Lonis in New Milton is the nearest. Best area will be between Milford and Highcliffe, with the tides getting stronger the further east you go. On a smaller tide, I'd go for Hordle Cliff, on a bigger tide, head for Barton. Distance casting can pay off here, as there is a sandbar all along the above venues and a good chuck of 100yrds plus will find the water deepening off the other side. Alternatively, there is a deep gulley that runs along the inside of the bar which is worth targeting.

Darkness normally fishes better for the rays.

Good luck,

Mart.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd echo all that has been advised above. Loni's in New Milton will be able to supply you with live rag and frozen baits. No special rigs are required just ring the changes until you find the fish, the ground is clean so a 5 oz. gripper will easily hold, but its also worth letting a plain 4oz. roll around looking for a feature!
Hurst Shingle is up the road and is definitely worth fishing if the tide is right(crucial). You need an evening/night, neap, high tide, and fish it down to low. Anything could turn up.
Otherwise the beaches at Paddy's Gap, Hordle Cliff, Barton, and Highcliffe can throw up nice fish, you'll get the rays at distance, but don't neglect a bait close in!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers lads nice to see people willing to help if any off you every go up to angelsey area let me know I will return favour I have fished it for38 years and have some really nice marks
Cheers

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Hello mate,

Its normally the weed situation that dictates heading west the bigger the tide...

All the venues along the Solent can and do get weeded out - possibly one of the worst areas in the country for weed attrition!

With the latest storms we have encountered, who knows what the weed situation will be like.

You are more than welcome to pm me mate nearer the time and I will do my best to give you an up to the minute picture of what is happening.

Cheers,

Mart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts