World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just got myself a project boat and im struggling to identify it any help would be appreciated, she is measuring in at around 18ft long and 6 and a half ft wide (sorry for the poor quality pictures)

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it may be an MI 18. made by same poeple that used to make the MI 21 which is now the pirate 21.
looks very much like it, unfortunately someone in there wisdom decided to paint the boat using emulsion :bangin: the paint is flaking off as you run your hand over it, any suggestions how to remove the majority of this? i was thinking a pressure washer?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
looks very much like it, unfortunately someone in there wisdom decided to paint the boat using emulsion :bangin: the paint is flaking off as you run your hand over it, any suggestions how to remove the majority of this? i was thinking a pressure washer?
are you going to paint it again or try and clean up the gelcoat?

if painting i would pressure wash and then sand it down for paint.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
basicly the upper half of the boat is dark blue under the white emulsion, once i get the emulsion off im wanting to do the whole boat white. so any advice on using power sanders or just rub it down with wet&dry, fillers to use on small holes from rod holders, using undercoat or just marine paint and what type?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
sand it down with a da sander or orbital sander with 80 grit paper.

that will give a nice surface for the primer to stick too and then you can wet n dry that down with say 800 and then apply the top coat.

filler wise i just use normal car body filler as its polyester based so is fine to use on boats.

in the past i have used 2 pack car paint on boats with great success. the last boat i did was my mates boat couple years ago and it still looks good now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
excellent, always a good start to get some knowledge of someone whos done it before.
as for applying the primer and 2pk what did you use? someone suggested the small spongey rollers used for glossing?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
excellent, always a good start to get some knowledge of someone whos done it before.
as for applying the primer and 2pk what did you use? someone suggested the small spongey rollers used for glossing?
yeah they work but after a while they fall apart due to the thinners in the paint.

if you can get access to a compressor and spray it then the finish will be better.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
basicly the upper half of the boat is dark blue under the white emulsion, once i get the emulsion off im wanting to do the whole boat white. so any advice on using power sanders or just rub it down with wet&dry, fillers to use on small holes from rod holders, using undercoat or just marine paint and what type?
Is difficult to see in bad weather or from the air a nice flourescent bright colour on top of the cabin & cuddy will make you much more visible if you need to be seen:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Is that transom ok? It looks like bare wood.

Looks like it'll be a handy boat when it's finished.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im actually picking the boat up tonight, i can see where your talking about but im sure the transom was glassed in and looked original. il double check tonight but i see where your meaning

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
upon closer inspection last night the transom is original, what looks like bare wood is actually a strip of metal to protect the transom
Or to hide something and try and beef it up..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.