World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have come to a bit of a stumbling block as far as the finishing touches are concerned on the boat. Everything is fitted and seems to be working, the only thing I am stuck with is fitting the control cables to the linkages on the outboard.

The engine is a new 20hp mariner long shaft with PT&T. First of all there are 2 cables and 2 linkages on the engine. Reading the manual I just can't make sense of it. Does it matter which cable goes to what linkage because it doesn't say so in the manual.

The manual refers to putting the throttle lever fully forward and fully to the rear and marking the positions, then marking the centre between the 2 marks, its very vague.

I am looking at taking it in to get done unless anyone knows of any simple, laymans terms way of doing it?

If anyone needs pics of the engine and linkages to get an idea of whats what let me know.

·
Landypirate
1,591 Posts
I’m not familiar with your cables and outboard , but on mine there is no way that I could connect them the wrong way round , the fittings are different , are they the same on yours ???
Perhaps some pics would be a help ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both cables are exactly the same, and the linkages on the engine are the same too. They were sent from the same supplier I got the outboard from so they will be the right ones.

Will post some pics tomorrow.

·
Landypirate
1,591 Posts
i would think that if you push the control forward and check which cable moved first , the first cable to move would be the one that puts the o/b in gear and the other one would put the revs on ,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Lift the idle bar that will tell you what one is the throttle.

steve
Plus, with the lever in the middle (neutral) the gear cable will be roughly in the middle of it's throw, but the throttle will be all the way one way or the other.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks its starting to make sense now.

So, if I have the throttle lever on the control box in neutral and then the gear linkage on the outboard in neutral (so the prop turns) and then adjust the barrel adjuster so it sits in the recess the cable can then be fitted to that.

With the throttle cable do the same, adjust the barrel adjuster so the reach is the right length then just attach it to the throttle link?

Have a look at the pic below, By Barrel adjuster I mean the part of the cable circled. The one that is circled is the same cable as mine.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Yes. :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
If you bought the engine new, did the deal not include installation? Both times I've bought a new engine it did, and on the Evinrude it was fully trialled with me on board to say I was happy with everything before it was allowed to leave the yard. Might also be worth checking with the supplier that the warranty won't be affected if you're doing the installation yourself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you bought the engine new, did the deal not include installation? Both times I've bought a new engine it did, and on the Evinrude it was fully trialled with me on board to say I was happy with everything before it was allowed to leave the yard. Might also be worth checking with the supplier that the warranty won't be affected if you're doing the installation yourself.
The place I bought the boat from wanted just over 3K for the engine and then an extra £200 to fit it, bear in mind I had just spent over 4k on the boat and trailer! I managed to get the engine online for £2600 and fitted it myself. I asked them about the warranty issue when I bought it and there was no probs.

The weather is a lot beter today, I will try and get the cables fitted today and get her in the water to make sure all is well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts