World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me please? I have just purchased my first boat which came with a Mariner 15hp Outboard. What i'm after is some sort of manual for this motor? All i have to go on is the serial No: 9567618, She's probaly between 10 - 20 years old. Also can anyone tell me the best place to get some charts for the Isle of Wight coastal waters.

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi Salty, your local chandlers will probably have charts of the area the yachties ones are waterproof and ideal for small boats, which end of the I o W are you? as I might be able to give you some marks and there catching possiblities,
ChrisP will probably be able to help with your engine problem and no doubt he will be along later.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Gus, I'm down in Ventnor near the southern tip of the island. The best side of the island for fishing so i've been told. Its my first boat as i said She's a little beauty. 15' 8" Bass Boat with cuddy. I just managed to secure a boat parking permit but hav'nt had the chance to stretch her legs yet.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Salty, just off ventor pier in august you get a run of large plaice you will see all the boats anchoring there so that is one mark you won;t need numbers for, if you get a chart of the area one place you will be able to get to is Sandown Bay at the western end of it there is a long sand bank that is always worth a go for a selection of fish rays,and bass in the summer and whiting and cod in the winter at the other end of the bay there is an area of rough ground and a small wreck this good for some large bream from may onwards to september you will also pick up conger and the usual dross. when you have good conditions (as your only 15ft) towards the east is a patch called Utopia this is best fished on a smallish tide and from April onwards is good for a great variety of species, there are a lot of charter boats in this area and following them or anchoring in their vicinity will put you onto some good fishing, The other main areas are called The Foul Grounds, Nab Rock, The Spoil Grounds and Bembridge Ledge as I say you need to get a chart and have a look There are quite a few Inshore wrecks in this area that are always worth a visit in the summer for large Bream and small Pollack. Stay Safe & tight lines,

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Salty probably your best bet will be to go to Amazon.co.uk & enter what manual you want, I did the same for my Merc yesterday, & its being despatched today.
blueskip

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Gus, I popped into a local tackle shop today in Newport on the Island and they told me the only place to get some charts is in Cowes, Which makes sense really as its one of the Yachting Capitals of the world. Still stuck on this Mariner 15Hp though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Blueskip i'll give Amazon a surf. The thing is though all i have is the serial number. If you search the net for Mariner Manuals loads of them come up. I need to find the year of make from the serial number somehow. Any suggestions anyone???

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have just read that Mercury / Mariner Outboard Serial Numbers that are only 7 digits long are Pre-1980 where as after 1980 they started to put 0 or a Letter at the start of them making them 8 digit Serial Numbers.

Can anybody shed any light on this please??

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Mariner 9567618

According to my lists your engine is a 9,9hp

serial numbers 9547222 - 9585999 refer to mariner 9.9 built 1989 with 2 cyl

If you engine is a Mercury there is a 15hp with your serial number
9542620 - 9585999 built 1989 with 2 cyl

Hope this helps :confused:

This is a link to a usefull source or workshop manuals, US based but what isn't.

http://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/Mariner.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts